HERMS re-circulation temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do HERMS and RIMS not denature enzymes and increase dextrinous content of wort? That is the question that keeps nagging me whenever I start considering either of these systems. Also, what is their efficiency compared to other methods of controlling mash temps?

With a HERMS, the coil is not more than about 3F above the mash temp...

With RIMS you are only increasing the temp for a short time and the. Dropping the wort back into the bulk and the temperature drops back down. The enzymes do not denature immediately. I run HERMS not RIMS so that is about all I can add to the topic and Pol hit the nail on the head with HERMS.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Awesome! Sorry it took so long to get back to my post. I have been leaning towards HERMS, but that question was always on my mind when considering either HERMS or RIMS. There are a lot of people out there using those systems with good results, so I was confident there was a good answer as to why that overheating the wort was not a problem. I'm not financially able to set up a HERMS just yet, but would like to have my plan in place and all questions answered before I do.

It's not about efficiency increase. The temperature control gives you better repeatability and refinement plus the ease of doing things like a step mash without having to change your water ratios through hot additions. The recirculation gives you better wort clarity and since you are pumping it makes it easier to have a single tier setup.

That all sounds good. Now I guess I'll have to start planning to get out of the kitchen a putting together a system. Thanks for your help everyone! :)

It may not be with regards to productivity enhance. Your temperatures management offers you better repeatability along with processing together with simple carrying out such things as any action mash and never have to adjust your current drinking water ratios as a result of warm upgrades. Your recirculation offers you better wort understanding along with as you are generally putting this helps it be less complicated to experience a individual tier startup.

Thanks. It sounds like either HERMS or RIMS would considerably simplify my mashing. Trying to control temps on a stove is not so easy.

Back