HERMS question, clearance with side of kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalypsoCowboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning my brewery build and had a question on a HERMS coil.

I'm planning on installing a HERMS coil in my boil kettle that will double as a chiller in my two vessel setup. This will be a small 3-4 gallon batch setup. My kettle is 11 1/2" in diameter. I would like to put a 1/2" stainless steel coil in the kettle, but the vendor for the coil can only reasonably do a 10" coil which would only leave me 3/4" between the coil and kettle wall.

Assuming I can get all my connections to fit, will I be okay with the coil that close to the wall?

Or should I look into 3/8" tubing where I can get a smaller diameter coil and more room between the wall and coil.

I'm thinking the 3/8" would be better with more room and since I'm only doing small batches the 3/8" would be fine for cooling and HERMS.

Thanks, Josh

I don't see any problem with the 1/2" just like any IC or HERMS you need to keep the liquid moving which means the 3/4" space really doesn't matter.

Just my opinion, but I think simply stirring the HLT won't be very effective. stirring in a circuilar motion will for the most part keep the "cooler" water against the kettle wall. Recirculating the water top to bottom would negate the effect of having little space outside the coil.

Thermodymically you will be fine. Heck it will probably be nice to have the extra space in the center of the kettle so you can stir/add hops/whirlpool/etc....

...But you also have to think about cleaning that kettle. Heated oxyclean is a possibility, but can you get a scrubby or brush or something in between the coil and kettle wall if it gets too cruddy?

Just my opinion, but I think simply stirring the HLT won't be very effective. stirring in a circuilar motion will for the most part keep the "cooler" water against the kettle wall. Recirculating the water top to bottom would negate the effect of having little space outside the coil.

"Stirring" is probably not the best word. You really want to just "agitate" the wort to cause turbulent flow which will effectively mix hot and cold spaces.

But if you stirred fast enough, turbulent flow will ensue.

Good info, I'm planning on some way of agitating the water for her HERMS either via paddle or recirculating water, and then for cooling I plan on recirculating the wort back into the kettle to help with cooling and a whirlpool.

I may also look into a way to space the coils so that water could flow between them.

-Josh

Back