HERMS or RIMS Electric Brewing in the Cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmybeer

Reaction score
I had a rough BIAB season here in MN last winter and am having a blast brewing now in the summer but thinking ahead. Does anyone have any input on whether a HERMS or RIMS system would be more efficient in cold winter months? I'm probably setting up in an uninsulated garage and I want more consistency when it gets chilly so I can bail if I want and not worry about my temp plummeting.

I'm debating between a single vessel eBIAB system that cycles through a rims tube or a dual vessel eBIAB system that cycles the mash through a HERMS coil. I've got access to a controller, most electrical components and two kettles if I want to go that route.

Just looking for some input from folks used to working in the c

The less things you have the wort moving through, the better. Plus a 240v system would be recommended so you have enough power to overcome losses quickly enough. My suggestion would be a 240v ebiab Rims system, or even better would be an ebiabasket system with the element directly in the kettle. That will provide the best in terms of heat retention

A RIMS or HERMS will help with maintaining consistent mash temps. To minimize heat losses in a cold space like an unheated winter garage, you should consider using an insulated lid and insulated sleeve for your mash vessel if its not insulated already.

MPLS!
As a fellow cold weather brewer, I'll give you a piece of my logic in what I moved to: the water I have to deal with in the winter, the better! Hence, a RIMS system would be preferable (especially if you are thinking single vessel). I have a 2V system, but no-sparge.

But @processhead is absolutely correct, insulating the vessel - including the lid - is vitally important to maintaining (and increasing) temps in the cold.

I live in Wisconsin and had winter temp problems with my garage. I got RIMS tube made all the difference in the world. Now I brew inside and moved over to herms because I have the controller panel. I think you will find RIMS changes things a lot for you.

I think a RIMS would be better. I have one, and if you think of it, what I have is a 3-vessel system: BK, MT, and RIMS. A HERMS is also 3-vessel, but you have to make space for it and provide a mechanism to heat it--plus, if the garage is cold, you may run into issues with trying to maintain that heat.

Now, you can get around some of this by insulating; I have Reflectix on my MT; further, I set it on some 1" foamboard insulation to keep the bottom from sucking heat out of it.

The trick to RIMS, I've found, is to get the pump going before you turn on the power to the heating element. That way the tube is full of wort, no bubbles, and away you go. Scorching? Not if you're moving wort and there are no bubbles in the RIMS tube.

The other issue that kind of put me toward RIMS is how fast you can change temp. Since in HERMS you're heating water, not the wort, you have to have that come up in temp before it begins to affect the wort. RIMS is directly heating the wort, so no delay there.

Back