Hermaphrodite Columbus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odbrew

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops and I planted a columbus and a cascade that I ordered as rhizomes via midwest. Its been an interesting rolling harvest with the columbus so far lol. I noticed these pods growing on it alongside the regular cones, are these male flowers? I need to do some reading, but is there any chance that it may of pollinated my cascade which is throwing out burrs? :mug:
Edit: Further reading states its highly improbable..... but one can always hope lol
20150801_121309_zpszlgwt20s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Those are indeed boy parts, Columbus is supposedly one of the most prone to going hermie.

I don't know if "the boys" are actually equipped to propagate...

Cheers!

Interesting. Just read a bunch of other threads on the topic. I think I have the same thing going on with my Cascade. Going to have to check when I get home...

In the growing hops from seed thread, he did manage to propagate from a hermaphrodite but that was a pretty improbable thing. I would be stoked if it did produce viable seed from my cascade lol. But I'm not going to hold my breath.... I'm going to start searching the old farm as I know I saw some as a kid.

Back