Here are my ingredients... what can I brew with them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aparoche

Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe or clone for the following ingredients? This is just some extra grains and hops I have lying around. Keep in mind that I am a big fan of very hoppy IPA's, DIPA's, and Reds.

• 2-Row
  • Vienna
  • Caramel 60L
  • Crystal 40L
  • Melanoidin Malt
  • Some Chocolate and Roasted Malt
  • Maybe a little Munich and Caramel 120L
  • Simcoe hops
  • Cascade hops

Thanks in advance!!!

Make a hoppy and malty American red!

Use two-row for the majority of the base, with a pound of Munich malt or two pounds of Vienna malt, a pound of crystal 40L, .25 pound of crystal 120L, two ounces of chocolate for color, all in a 1.055 or so grainbill.

It'd probably look like this (depending on your efficiency):
8 pounds two-row
2 pounds Vienna
.75 pound crystal 40L (or up to a pound)
.25 pound crystal 120L
2 oz chocolate malt (for color)

Bitter to 35 IBUs or so

Use a neutral bittering hop if you have one, and then use the cascade and simcoe, .5 ounce each, at 15 and 5 minutes. Dryhop if you'd like more hops "oomph".

.75 oz bittering hops 60 minutes (or up to about 25-30 IBUs with this addition)
.50 oz simcoe 15 minutes
.50 oz cascade 15 minutes
.50 oz simcoe 5 minutes
.50 oz cascade 5 minutes

Use a clean well-attenuating ale yeast (s05 for dry, WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 for liquid).

You da man. Thanks for the recipe. A hoppy red was what I wanted to brew. Just wasn't sure I had the ingredients.

She's definitely da man. I was looking for something to brew tomorrow and I've got the fixings for this. Problem solved! :ban:

What is a good hop to use for dry hopping this hoppy red ale and how many ounces should I use? Keep in mind, I really, really love hoppy beers.

What is a good hop to use for dry hopping this hoppy red ale and how many ounces should I use? Keep in mind, I really, really love hoppy beers.

I'm a fan of "more of the same"- but there are other hops that would go very well with simcoe and cascade. Amarillo, centennial, and even citra would be great.

Back