Helping A Frustrated Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
Folks,

Please forgive the long post. I've been trying to isolate my problem for over a year, so I want to provide a high level overview so that anyone willing to try to help can eliminate potential explanations.

First, the problem. I cannot brew a pale, hoppy beer without a nasty astringency. Yes, I know there are other threads on this, and I've read them many times. Before telling you what I've done, let me first give some additional background. My problem has actually improved. It use to be that all of my beers were astringent. Then I educated myself on the importance of water PH, and now that I monitor mash and sparge ph, there's no doubt that the astringency has disappeared from my lagers, ambers and stouts. I can successfully brew sound, tasty beers ranging from a Munich Helles (I cut my water with distilled for that) to fantastic oatmeal stouts. I also have to say that my hoppy pale beers have also improved. Unfortunately, while improved, those hoppy pale beers are not "cured" of the astringency like the others are.

So, because I've successfully managed mash and sparge ph for other beers, that tells me that I can remove these factors as possibilities. I'd also say that fermentation and sanitation must have nothing to do with it--again, because I am capable of producing wonderful examples of other styles.

So what's the variable? My Helles is very pale, so it must not be the color. It has to be, it seems to me, something connected to the amount of hopping associated with my troubled (and favorite) styles. There are a couple of things I still plan on trying, and I'll lay those out in a minute, but I'm desperate for someone to help me identify where I'm going wrong. First, a little more detail on my water and my brewing practices. Here's my water profile:

Ca: 36
Mg: 9
Na: 20
Chl: 41
Sulfate: 37
Alkalinity: 80
PH: 7.6

My approach has been not to mess with things too much. I use the advanced brewing water calculator on brewersfriend.com. For my hoppy pales, I typically add about 4 grams of gypsum to the mash. Otherwise, I add enough lactic acid to get both the mash and sparge water ph to 5.4. Other than that, I try not to go nuts with the chemistry. Again, this has had a significant positive impact on my results.

One thing I've wondered is if I'm getting hop astringency from the boil--perhaps my pre-boil kettle PH is too high? If that could be my problem, I can always add more gypsum or some CaCl to the kettle to bring it down to the 5.2 5.3 range. Unfortunately, I haven't been testing my kettle PH, so I have no data on that.

I'm also wondering if all of my astringency problems could be coming from dry hopping. I use pellets. My process is typically to rack to a keg, cold crash and use some gelatin to drop as much yeast as possible. I then do a closed transfer of the clear beer to a second keg. I then dry hop in that keg with a stainless dry hopper. This one:http://stainlessbrewing.3dcartstores.com/Dry-Hopper-with-twist-cap_p_155.html. I leave the hops in for about a week and remove. At least once, I'll jostle the keg to make sure the hops are getting good contact with the beer. Honestly, the dry hopper does a pretty damn good job of keeping most hop bits out, but there's no doubt that my first few pours are pretty much undrinkable, as they have too much hop material. But that does improve after the first few pours.

I put a lot of care into this process. While 8 or so months ago the tannins were so bad that I would dump the entire batch (before I started managing PH), the astringency is still there at an unacceptable level.

So, any thoughts?

Are you adding lactic acid to get your mash & sparge water to 5.4, or to get your mash to 5.4? Maybe you are adding too much lactic acid? The pH of your water doesn't really matter, it is the pH of the mash that matters.

Are you adding lactic acid to get your mash & sparge water to 5.4, or to get your mash to 5.4? Maybe you are adding too much lactic acid? The pH of your water doesn't really matter, it is the pH of the mash that matters.

Thanks for responding. I add acid to get mash to 5.4, but then add to get sparge water to 5.4 as well. So, IOW, I'm not targeting 5.4 for my strike water but I am for my sparge water. This make sense, I think, since the malts have little to no buffering left at sparge like they do at mash in. I don't think I'm adding too much. My calculators show a sour malt equivalent of about 2-3%.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That water looks like it should be fine to sparge with as is. Next time you brew, do not add any acid to your sparge water. Check your kettle preboil ph and adjust to a ph of 5.2-5.4 if necessary. You could also check your runoff ph to make sure it doesn't get above a ph of 5.7 but I think you will be fine. Have you checked the finished beer ph of your pale ales?

That water looks like it should be fine to sparge with as is. Next time you brew, do not add any acid to your sparge water. Check your kettle preboil ph and adjust to a ph of 5.2-5.4 if necessary. You could also check your runoff ph to make sure it doesn't get above a ph of 5.7 but I think you will be fine. Have you checked the finished beer ph of your pale ales?

Thank you for the thoughts. This is what I use to do, and honestly, the results were poor. I got a lot of tannins from sparging without the acid adjustments. But that's also why I only target 5.4 for sparge water, since it won't bring the sparging mash bed to a too low PH. And, yes, I have checked finished beer ph in the low 4s typically.

having similar issues but my water starts very soft. I follow beersmith to for water additions but still get some astringent for pale and IPA.

Can you describe the astringency flavor?

What type of hops are you using when you are making your IPAs? Are you using a wide variety or are you experiencing this issue with the same type of hops each time?

FYI, when I build my brewing water from distilled I add salts to the mash and the boil. I sparge with completely distilled water at 170F.

What type of hops are you using when you are making your IPAs? Are you using a wide variety or are you experiencing this issue with the same type of hops each time?

FYI, when I build my brewing water from distilled I add salts to the mash and the boil. I sparge with completely distilled water at 170F.

Common hops are the usual. Centennial, CTZ, Mosaic, Amarillo are my faves. Somtimes Citra and Cascade. Problem emerges in single hop beers as well as "kitchen sink" ones.

You don't need to acidify your sparge water to 5.4. You may be adding too much acid to your overall beer.

Need more info regarding your process. Are you batch sparging or fly sparging? If fly sparging, you may be oversparging in the chase for efficiency. What recipe/process/temps? Are you milling your own grain?

Sorry, I neglected to describe the flavor. So, this is a bit difficult, but I'd say there are two things of note.

First, no other word than astringent better describes the finish of the beer. Harsh, dry, pastic-y bitterness. Beer burps that way too (definite plastic sensation to me--but that's the way I sense astringency). Definitely not a "plastic-in-the-process" issue since it does not appear in my other beers.

Second, the hop flavor is just "off." For example, I know what Centennial is supposed to taste like. I love Stone IPA and Bells Two Hearted, and those either mostly or exclusively use centennial. But when I use centennial as a feature hop (and this is just one example), it tastes flat and sweet and only vaguely like what I've come to love and expect from that variety. It's lacking definition. In fact, no matter the hop I use, there is a consistency to that unpleasant flat sweetness in the final hop character.

I little more on my process. I definitely hit the beer hard at knock out with hops.

Again, need more info on your recipe and process.

Plastic usually points to chlorophenols. What's your water source? Municipal? Chlorine/Chloramine is usually the culprit there. What is the source of your water profile?

Without more info we're all shooting blind.

Again, need more info on your recipe and process.

Plastic usually points to chlorophenols. What's your water source? Municipal? Chlorine/Chloramine is usually the culprit there. What is the source of your water profile?

Without more info we're all shooting blind.

Municipal source. Water report is source of my water profile. According to it, there's no Chloramine. I carbon filter all of my water to remove Chlorine. Again, I emphasize that this characterdoes not show up in other delicate, light beers.

Recipes vary, but here is the recipe for a pale ale that currently has the problem:

11 lbs 2 Row
1 lb carastan
.5 lbs Munich
.5 lbs Victory

Mashed at 154

1 oz Northern Brewer at 30 min.
2oz Centennial at 5 min.
2 oz Cenntennial dry hop

US-05 Yeast

i find astringent to be more of a harsh tannin type or like a earthy wine... i believe my problem may come from not controlling sparging temps enough, (sometimes get up to 165) and use of whole hops, though i use pellet when dry hopping. but it's hard to know because others have said they don't have any problems under similar conditions.

reuliss, are you making lighter beers than your pale ale that don't have any issues? the lighter the beer the more problems will show. fuller/darker beers will HIDE a lot of problems but there still there.

"Astringent
Astringency differs from bitterness by having a puckering quality, like sucking on a tea bag. It is dry, kind of powdery and is often the result of steeping grains too long or when the pH of the mash exceeds the range of 5.2 - 5.6. Oversparging the mash or using water that is too hot are common causes for exceeding the mash pH range. It can also be caused by over-hopping during either the bittering or finishing stages. Bacterial infections can also cause astringency, i.e. vinegar tones from aceto bacteria." (How to Brew)

Municipal water reports leave out a lot of stuff. Also, they're usually averages as most water supplies change seasonally.

How sure are you that there's no chloramine in your water? Carbon filtration is not a surefire way to remove chlorine, as you need a long enough contact time with the activated carbon and unless you test the water for chlorine every brew, there's no way of telling when the carbon is saturated and no longer absorbing the chlorine. The average home filter system won't touch chloramine. The only sure way to prevent chlorine based off flavors is to use campden tablets.

How are you sparging? Batch or fly? As I mentioned before, you're probably over-acidifying your water. Sparge water only needs to be dropped to 6.0, and that's only really an issue if you're fly sparging. If you're using an online calculator for your acid additions and your water report isn't accurate, it could be calling for too much acid to drop the PH, resulting in very low sparge water PH.

A very low finished beer PH due to to much acid, combined with the bittering could be creating the flavor you're having an issue with. The reason this issue isn't showing up in lighter beers is that lighter malt bills don't acidify the wort/beer as much as a darker grain bill will, and lighter beers generally don't have the same level of bittering.

How are you measuring your PH? A meter, or an online calculator? If you're using an online calculator, your results are only as good as the data you're feeding it. You need an accurate water report, for starters. GIGO.

Municipal water reports leave out a lot of stuff. Also, they're usually averages as most water supplies change seasonally.

How sure are you that there's no chloramine in your water? Carbon filtration is not a surefire way to remove chlorine, as you need a long enough contact time with the activated carbon and unless you test the water for chlorine every brew, there's no way of telling when the carbon is saturated and no longer absorbing the chlorine. The average home filter system won't touch chloramine. The only sure way to prevent chlorine based off flavors is to use campden tablets.QUOTE]

Okay, I'm intrigued. I just googled a bit on this and read about chlorophenols. Written descriptions sound familiar. I just placed an order for some campden tablets. I'll brew another batch this weekend with one of those badboys and see how things go. Bishop, if this ends up fixing my issue, you're going to need to send me your address for a thank you gift!

My experience is that a big cause of tannic astringency is oversparging. I used to stop my runoff at a gravity of 1.008, which is a recommended stopping point. But I found that I needed to stop at about 1.012 to cure the tannin problem in my beers. I was already acidifying my mashing and sparging water, so I knew it was not the problem.

With respect to the OP's water, that level of alkalinity does require neutralization prior to use as sparging water. I don't target a pH value for my sparging water, I prefer to target it's final alkalinity. I prefer to bring sparging water down to less than 25 ppm alkalinity (as CaCO3).

And while the OP's water has moderate alkalinity, it is important to use acidification to get the pH of the mash down to a proper range. I recall a brewery that John Palmer and I visited in central Indiana that used RO water for all their brewing. But they didn't acidify the mashes for their pale beers. Those mash pH's were apparently too high since their beers all had a notable tannic bite. I'm not sure they ever changed their habits, but I have to use the experience as a lesson.

Enjoy!

I recall a brewery that John Palmer and I visited in central Indiana that used RO water for all their brewing. But they didn't acidify the mashes for their pale beers. Those mash pH's were apparently too high since their beers all had a notable tannic bite.

Most pale beers require some mash acidification but even without pH will tend to be well under 6. The usual penalty paid for failure to set mash pH low enough is dull flavors rather than phenol extraction from husks. We usually don't worry about tannin extraction at mash pH and temperature because pH > 6 and Temp > 167 °F are usually thought of as the limits. Of course these aren't brick wall limits and I don't doubt that there will be less phenol extraction at pH 5.4 than there will be at pH 5.8 but at all but mashout temperatures I would expect the temperature to protect.

Of course I boil decoctions and that extracts phenols but then that's what lagering is for. I'd advise that brewery to have its wort checked for phenols but then again, of course, I'd advise them to set their mash pH properly.

How sure are you that there's no chloramine in your water?

That's pretty easy to check. Draw a glass of water and let it stand out over night. Next morning pour it back and forth into another glass while sniffing. If you still smell chlorine then it is very probable that you supplier does chloraminate. If you do not then it is very probable that he does not.

A chloramine test kit (be sure it is capable of detecting chloramine as well as chlorine) is, of course, a bit more precise but the old sniffer is pretty good.

Brewed a pale ale today using camp den tablets. I'll report back in a few weeks and update on my results.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wanted to post an update. The Camden tablets absolutely did the trick. I had tp been using a carbon filter, but I think I had been inconsistent in how quickly I put the water through it. Can't believe it was something so simple. But I want to thank everyone for helping me here. My brewing skills have gotten quite good, but this was a frustrating source of inconsistency that I won't miss. Seriously, all, thank you.

Back