Help !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenpachi Z

Reaction score
Ok i might have made a rookie mistake ....so i was trying to make an apple cinnamon mead and i put my must together already ....but i did a bunch of research and tried to find the right stuff so i could get a good ferment going with it and know not use anything with potassium and other preservatives because they screw with the yeast and i found some organic apple juice made from pressed apples not concentrate and i looked over the ingredients when i got it and i honestly flat out missed the potassium and since i waa getting ready to pitch the yeast i went back and double checked ...i only added a half gallon of the juice also 2 1/2 lbs. Honey , a half gallon (or a little less probably ) of cider juice that has no preservatives as far as i can tell but that's what i read to use that works the best is cider juice ...also some raisens and strong black asun tea and a little lemon juice ....any way is there anything i can do to save it ?

So it has a preservative in it, don't worry mistakes happen and I've done the same. If you haven't pitched your yeast yet go ahead and aerate/agitate the crap out of it and let it sit cover for a day or night, 12 to 24 hours. After that aerate/agitate again and pitch your yeast, aerate/degas every few hours our before and after work. Should be just fine, I've made this mistake and this is what I do which has had results without issues, usually can't tell any difference.

With apple juice/cider I find rapid, almost ridiculously fast fermentation whenever I try a cyser so heads up, they are prone to sulfuric stress and odor's... Gonna smell like a duck fart. There are ways to get the odor out and age so don't let it worry you, I still haven't made what I would consider a successful cyser but still trying, keep up on nutrients and degassing and good luck.

Ideally you don't want to use preservatives but people do and even experiment with it, like adding campden or potassium metabosulfite to cider to wild yeast 24 hours before pitching yeast. Standard practice for a long time so don't be to worried.

Potassium is fine- it's the sorbate or benzoate you have to watch out for. That is, potassium sorbate or potassium benzoate. Those are preservatives that inhibit fermentation.
So would it say potassium sorbate or benzoate ? Because it just says potassium

So it has a preservative in it, don't worry mistakes happen and I've done the same. If you haven't pitched your yeast yet go ahead and aerate/agitate the crap out of it and let it sit cover for a day or night, 12 to 24 hours. After that aerate/agitate again and pitch your yeast, aerate/degas every few hours our before and after work. Should be just fine, I've made this mistake and this is what I do which has had results without issues, usually can't tell any difference.

With apple juice/cider I find rapid, almost ridiculously fast fermentation whenever I try a cyser so heads up, they are prone to sulfuric stress and odor's... Gonna smell like a duck fart. There are ways to get the odor out and age so don't let it worry you, I still haven't made what I would consider a successful cyser but still trying, keep up on nutrients and degassing and good luck.

Ideally you don't want to use preservatives but people do and even experiment with it, like adding campden or potassium metabosulfite to cider to wild yeast 24 hours before pitching yeast. Standard practice for a long time so don't be to worried.
How do i get the smell out ? Just simply ageing ?

So i researched a bunch of different yeast this time and i usually use lavlin dry yeast packs but i wanted to try something new so i went with wyeast liquid , and i had already activated it and pitched it because that stuff ain't cheap so i can't let it sit for days now but it did sit for about 5 hours and i constantly agitated it so hopefully i see some fermenting going on soon

i would be confused if it just said potassium? because potassium metal would violently react with water and form potassium hydroxide wouldn't it?
From what i can tell based on all the stuff i read ....most fruits and vegetables have potassium chloride in them so im assuming that's the potassium im seeing on the label

the BOMM method of fermenting mead specifically recommends adding potassium (potassium carbonate) in the initial startup mixture. its not the potassium part you need to worry about.

baseline. is your yeast growing? see any little bubbles along the sides of your fermenter?
if the yeast is growing, your fine.

have a beer and wait a few days before you worry.

Back