Help with Yeast Temperature - Quick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I may have a slight problem.

Well, the recipe that my LHBS put together called for Yeast Strand Safale US-05, then to ferment @ 65-70 degrees.

Well, I just realized that the yeast they gave me (pitched yesterday at 4pm) is the California Ale Yeast WLP001 - which says to ferment between 70-75.

Thinking I had the right yeast, I set my fermenter at 67 and it has been there for 24 hours. Is it safe to bump it up to 70-71, or should I leave it go?

Thanks!

Leave it on the cooler side. From white labs website for WLP001:
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F

Even though 67 is one degree lower than recommended, do you think it will be safe or should i go at least to 68?

I've fermented it as low as 62.

Remember, also, that fermenting beer produces heat itself, so even if it starts at 66, it'll easily shoot up to 75 if you don't control the temperature!

Many people ferment this yeast even cooler, like low 60's with great success. Very clean. I'd leave it at 67, or even drop to lower 60's. You'll be just fine, and it'll be great.

US-05, Wyeast 1056, and White Labs WLP001 are all basically the same strain (Chico strain) and can be fermented about the same way.

Low 60s F IN THE BEER (not ambient) is what you should be shooting for for a nice clean taste (the big advantage of using these ale strains).

Well, not quite sure if this is "normal" but it seems very slow to take off. I've left my chamber at 67 after reading all of your advice and doing a little additional research. It's been about 36 hours and the airlock is barely moving - I know the airlock does not directly indicate fermentation activity, however my last beer (hefeweizen) was going CRAZY after about 20 hours. Both were White Labs yeasts. I did not make a starter because I did not think it was necessary and my recipe did not call for one.

OG was 1.058. Being this is my second brew, I aerated better/more than the first batch just because I know more. I've read this yeast is very versatile and should be fine at this temp - just a little concerned...

...however my last beer (hefeweizen) was going CRAZY after about 20 hours...

The hefe strain is far more aggressive. It goes nuts, fast. 001 is more "normal" and takes a while to build, especially at lower temps. My krausen usually peaks at day 3 I think. All that to say, relax - it's normal and it's working.

Back