Help with yeast starter calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gugguson

Reaction score
Hello.

I just made a yeast starter for a 5 gallon brew on saturday or sunday. I had Wyeast Bohemian Lager with the date of 10. of november 2011. Online calculators state that viability is 10% and I decided to try out stepped starter. I have one 2L and one 1L flasks and a stir starter.
I made 1.5L starter but afterwards I read that it needs to step up 5x the original size for the next step. So it looks like I made the initial starter to big if I want to make it stepped.

Should I just use this or do you guys have some good advice on how to make good use of this?

I was going to step it up. One step with 1.5L is not enough, but as I read that to have a second step I would need to have it 5x1.5L which is 7.5L which I can't do. I should probably had the first step 200ml or something like that and the second step 1L.

So the problem is, where do I go from here with this starter?

I was going to step it up. One step with 1.5L is not enough, but as I read that to have a second step I would need to have it 5x1.5L which is 7.5L which I can't do. I should probably had the first step 200ml or something like that and the second step 1L.

So the problem is, where do I go from here with this starter?

Put your starter in fridge overnight. Next day, pour off the clear stuff on the top. You'll have just the yeast left, and that will be maybe 250mL. This is what we call "decanting".

Now go ahead and make a big starter again. Repeat as necessary.

Ok, thanks - I will try that.

Thanks

Put your starter in fridge overnight. Next day, pour off the clear stuff on the top. You'll have just the yeast left, and that will be maybe 250mL. This is what we call "decanting".

Now go ahead and make a big starter again. Repeat as necessary.

Back