Help with water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I keep getting the same funk flavor in my brews which leads me to believe it's something with the water but I'm unsure what to do about it. Can somebOdy help me make sense of this report? Mine woukd be under "cove communities". Sorry it's dark...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

1391635939711.jpg

You'll have more luck over at brewing science, where they deal with a lot of water. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/

However, it looks like you've got a decent amount of chlorine in your water which is always a problem. You'll want to take that out either by pre-boiling your water, letting it stand overnight before you brew, or adding a campden tablet to the water just before use.

However, it looks like you've got a decent amount of chlorine in your water which is always a problem.

Unless I'm missing something it looks like he only has 0.3 PPM Chlorine. That's not too bad. I agree that it is DEFINITELY the correct practice to eliminate it, though!

Looking at the rest of the water report, I don't see Calcium or Magnesium listed, but nothing looks like it would cause any issues.

A few other questions:
What style of brewing do you use (all grain, extract, etc)?
If all-grain and doing a mash, have you ever tried brewing a batch entirely from distilled water and then making additions with Gypsum and other materials to achieve proper mash pH?

There is high variability in your hardness as well as Sodium and Sulfate. With that much variability you would only be guessing at any point in time what your actual numbers are. My guess is that the water source varies seasonally. Personally, I would build from RO water if you want to be confident in your numbers.

I keep getting the same funk flavor in my brews which leads me to believe it's something with the water but I'm unsure what to do about it. Can somebOdy help me make sense of this report? Mine woukd be under "cove communities". Sorry it's dark...

What kind of funk flavor? Unless the water tastes really lousy to begin with (and if it does why would you brew with it) the cause probably lies elsewhere. It would be very helpful to get a more distinct description of the flavor. Phenolic (Band-Aid, burning plastic) seems to be the most common off flavor and it is usually caused by sanitation problems leaving wild yeast/bacteria or fermenting at too high a temperature letting the yeast produce these unwanted flavors.

Its kind of like a biting hop flavor, that shows up on the end and sticks around. But it's different from a hop bitter. I'm not totally sure how to put it. I'll drink another one tomorrow and see if that helps with a description

Ok, I see what you're looking at. He said his values are listed under "Cove Communities" which is actually the third column.

Wow, thanks, I can words good. Much read. Very comprehends.

You're obviously right, but yea, probably still campden or pre-boil just to be safe.

I should note that we have very hard water here. There are deposit buildups on anything the water sits in our passes through regularly

Back