Help with water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinglejohn

Reaction score
Im new to water adjustment, i have read everything i can possibly find about it, got all my salts, acids, and what have you, and am now going to start ****ing with my water.

This profile is for the CYBI recipe for Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Does it look ok, or am i being over zealous noob about it?

Thanks!
barprocopy.jpg

What are you trying to accomplish with these mineral additions? Are you shooting for a specific water profile or just trying to dial in mash pH?

What are you trying to accomplish with these mineral additions? Are you shooting for a specific water profile or just trying to dial in mash pH?

IM not aiming for a specific water profile, just an appropriate profile for the specific beer. i want a moderate malty profile with an good mash ph. My concern is that im going crazy with additions, hoping some one with good water experience can give me some feedback.

IM not aiming for a specific water profile, just an appropriate profile for the specific beer. i want a moderate malty profile with an good mash ph. My concern is that im going crazy with additions, hoping some one with good water experience can give me some feedback.

Do you have a scale that can actually handle those small additions of 1-3.5 grams? I always profile my water before brewing because I like to reproduce the style as close as possible but since required salt additions are beyond the accuracy of my small kitchen scale, I rather do the math to find out how much distilled water I have to use to dilute my tap water. Unless you have a lab scale, you won't be able to weigh such low amounts of salt with good precision.

Do you have a scale that can actually handle those small additions of 1-3.5 grams? I always profile my water before brewing because I like to reproduce the style as close as possible but since required salt additions are beyond the accuracy of my small kitchen scale, I rather do the math to find out how much distilled water I have to use to dilute my tap water. Unless you have a lab scale, you won't be able to weigh such low amounts of salt with good precision.

In John palmers book there are guidlines for how many Grams per teaspoon etc. that i am going by. Cleveland base tap water is on the low end of most water ions.

Back