Help with Starter Plan for Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
I messed up but buying only one vial of yeast for my upcoming brews - one pilsner (OG 1.06) and one Vienna lager (OG 1.055).

I ordered grain for 10 gallons - thinking I would brew one, use a 4L starter with the one yeast pack and then brew the following week and pitch on the yeast cake (or wash and use with another 4L starter).

Problem is all the grain came in one bag - so I need to make the whole 10g at once. Is it possible to step up the single vial to make it ready for the 10G batches?

I am looking at the charts and Mrmalty but I am not sure I am reading them 100% correct and was hoping for a little assist.

If I use a vial with a 4L stater, I should end up with ~300 cells. If I chill, decant and use that in another 4L starter, I think this will only get me ~600 cells which is shy of the ~800 according to the calculator.

Do I need to make a third starter? If (not sure the store has another vial) I picked up a second vial, could I do the same steps above and be safe? The one chart never gets me to an 800 count in a 4L starter…so not sure what course of action I should take.

Any thoughts would be great...

Looks like you could do it with 2 x 4L steps (I guessed that the yeast was a couple weeks old and that you were using a stir plate (if not, maybe now is a good time to get one :))):

cUsfoa0.jpg

I don't get the grain thing though? You ordered for 2 different recipes and all the grains came in 1 bag? All mixed together?

The one local homebrew store I buy from will actually put your grain together ahead of time if you write him a recipe list. So for example you could have your house IPa and then a house stour and then a commercial clone and he will take and break them all out into individual bags so all you have to do is open up that sack of grain for your brew of that particular beer.

I had written everything as 10 gallon batches so my would do as 10 gallons others I would do as 2x5 gallon batches

Back