Help with stable fermenting temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a micro Brewer in Liverpool England. I'm setting up my Brewery and need advice with fermentation.

I have bought a conical fermenter but don't have room to store it in a fridge / controlled area.

How's can I best control the temp on it? Heat belts? Pid controlled with some kind of heating element?

Any though would be great as I'm after consistent temp over a variety of beer styles

How about sticking a HEX inside the fermentor and running a temperature controlled loop using a fridge or freezer with integrated heater and a two stage controller?

Here's a small scale version

attachment.php

[photo credit to @Floydsview]

Cheers!

What size conical? Normally micro Conicals are jacketed for a glycol chiller.

Normally a heating phase isn't required because on commercial scale the heat from the fermentation is sufficient.

It's a 14.5 gallon fermenter and I'm brewing in a secure barn at present. Haven't started producing yet but I want everything to be perfect before I start. It gets chilly in winter but hot in summer. I've looked online but not much info on controlling fermentation temperature.

14.5 gallon is more nanoscale. Anyhow at that size you have the same options as most home brewers.

Back