Help with SMaSH recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTaylor

Reaction score
I have some Munich Malt type I and would like to use this in a SMaSH brew but am uncertain which hops to use, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

I made a doppelsticke that was 80% Light Munich with a lot of Hallertau Hersbrucker late and fermented with WLP036. I used 20% wheat because I wasn't sure the Munich would self-convert, although research indicates that it will. I think 100% Munich would have been too malty for me at 1.087, but the proportion I used came out nice. I wouldn't use Magnum for a smash, as they don't lend much when used late, but any German or German-derived flavor hop would be nice.

Thanks for the suggestions, have another question. How much grain and hops for a 5.5 gallon batch?

Thanks for the suggestions, have another question. How much grain and hops for a 5.5 gallon batch?

What would you like for a starting gravity and how many IBU are you looking for? What yeast are you planning to use?

I don't know about you but for me I wouldn't want a 1.080 SMaSH. I think about 1.040-60 is a good range for SMaSH brews but there is no right or wrong answer. Use whatever hops you want but obviously something German might be most appropriate.

Why not go all Munich and use American Hops all the way through such as Centinnnial or Cascade or Columbus and hop like a Pale Ale or IPA.

What would you like for a starting gravity and how many IBU are you looking for? What yeast are you planning to use?

Was thinking of an SG around 1.050-1.060 and IBU around 30-40. Don't have a lot of experience with different yeasts so not sure on that:confused:, have used mostly US-05 or Nottingham on most of my beers.

I'd say anything German noble or even a good earthy hop like EKG. If you don't want super malty taste mash it a little lower. For a SMaSH I'd mash around 152 anyways to get a nice dry finish.

At 70% efficiency, 10 lbs Light Munich should give you an OG around 1.052. It will self-convert, but not as easily as North American malts, so a 90 minute mash might be helpful, though not necessary. I'd mash at 150ish like Tre9er suggested, unless you want a malt bomb. Most noble hops are in the 4-5% alpha range, so you'd need about 1.5-2oz to get 30-35 IBUs, though with noble hops it will taste like less than that. Add however many ounces you want late-boil and dry-hop to get a feel for the hops; zero, two, twelve, it's up to you. US-05 and notty would both be fine for this; they'll allow the other ingredients to take center stage.

At 70% efficiency, 10 lbs Light Munich should give you an OG around 1.052. It will self-convert, but not as easily as North American malts, so a 90 minute mash might be helpful, though not necessary. I'd mash at 150ish like Tre9er suggested, unless you want a malt bomb. Most noble hops are in the 4-5% alpha range, so you'd need about 1.5-2oz to get 30-35 IBUs, though with noble hops it will taste like less than that. Add however many ounces you want late-boil and dry-hop to get a feel for the hops; zero, two, twelve, it's up to you. US-05 and notty would both be fine for this; they'll allow the other ingredients to take center stage.

I second this!

Back