Help with Saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atchinator

Reaction score
I'm wondering how this might be for a Saison style ale. Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.
Note the batch size is 6 gallons.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WYeast 3711 French Saison
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 6 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.061 (est)
IBU: 31
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

7# Pilsner Malt
2# Wheat Malt
2# Vienna Malt
.5# Crystal 40L
1# Belgian Candy Sugar

1oz Saaz, 60 minutes
1oz East Kent Goldings, 45 minutes
1oz East Kent Goldings, 15 minutes
1oz Saaz, dry hop for 7 days before bottling

Possible addition of coriander and orange peel but I have to look into that...

Looks good. Saison is pretty versatile. I would leave the orange and coriander out though.

Advise against the coriander and orange peel, but otherwise I like the hops and the grain bill. I tend to use a medium-large bittering charge (~25IBU) and a couple ounces at flameout.

You go the yeast right! It's a beast! Make a starter and ferment at 72-74°. Make sure you use a blow off tube.

I can't believe I am about to say this on this forum... I know I am going to get flamed for this but, I have had my best results recently with saisons using 3711 (starts to whisper) without a starter (gasp!) I find the saison yeast character which is supposed to be present in a saison to really come out better when I strain them a bit. Keep the fermentation temps right but a little under pitch in a saison has made my last 3 batches noticeably tastier.

Only include orange peel and coriander if you want that flavor (like a witbier). Don't feel like it has to go in because somebody told you that's what they put in saisons.

Good call on 3711 the belgian yeast is hard to work with. I brewed the same grain bill using Belgian in one and French in the other and the French is a beast and hit a fairly low gravity with in 10 days on a 8.4% brew. I have a saison going now with the French farmhouse PC strain and it seems to be working well. I would be interested in any dark or black saison recipe ideas so I can reuse this cake.

I used a ton of different grain bills for saisons and my best brews (by my pallet and judges) are the more complex bills. I've used something close to what you have there except add about 8-10% rye malt. I just did a batch using a blend of 3724 and 3711 pitched together and it's far funkier than the 3712 alone but it fermented out to 1.002 because of the 3711.

Assuming that's clear candy sugar, a lot of times I see people say it's not worth it and to just sub in table sugar. If it's a darker candy sugar, then disregard that last sentence.

Latest posts

Back