Help with my Weizenbock! Did I lose all my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromley

Reaction score
I'm more than a little concerned about this batch. We brewed a Weizenbock yesterday going pretty much with Zainasheff's recipe in his new book. I did a 3/4 gallon starter a few days ahead of time from a half pint culture jar of Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan. The starter was at full kreusen still when I needed to pitch so no time to crash cool and decant off the liquid. So we pitched the whole thing.

I aerated for 30 seconds with O2 right before pitching into 70F wort. Then aerated again an hour later for 30 more seconds. Within about 3 hours I had fermentation activity. The next morning I had a major blowout (I pretty much expected it would happen) I kept a close eye on the fermenter and when it wasn't pushing foam out anymore I stuck an airlock in and cleaned it up. So far so good right?

Well, right now as of 30 hours after pitching yeast. I checked it again and the airlock wasn't doing anything! I shook the bucket up a little and it seemed to help a little. I guess my question here is can you have such a major blowout in fermentation that you lose too much of your yeast and fermentation stops?

I'm kind of freaking out here. Everything else about this batch had gone so well....
I have another culture jar of the yeast in the fridge. Should I let that warm up to room temp and pitch it too?

Nope, you're fine. That yeast will go crazy for a day or two, and then slow down substantially. There's so much yeast floating around at that point, you only lost a tiny bit. If you're really worried, you can check the gravity, but I say RDWHAHB!

How warm was the fermentation?

Check the gravity. I'm with Prof. Frink that it might be done. But I'm concerned that the quick and vigerous fermentation created lots of fusel alcohols. This happened to my Wheatbock and it was even pitched and fermented in the upper 60s.

Kai

Kaiser said:
But I'm concerned that the quick and vigerous fermentation created lots of fusel alcohols. This happened to my Wheatbock and it was even pitched and fermented in the upper 60s.

Kai

How did the fusel alcohols affect the flavor of yours? Was it still drinkable?

Back