Help with my SNPA inspired recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdeck02

Reaction score
Can I get some opinions on this partial mash SNPA inspired recipe I've been working on? I'd particularly like some feedback on the grains, both the amount and type.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Category American Ale
Subcategory American Pale Ale
Recipe Type Extract
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 2.5 gal.
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 8.25 lbs.
Total Hops 3.0 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.) 217.9
Cost to Brew $54.50 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.) $1.02 (USD)

1.0 lbs. 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L info
7.25 lbs. Liquid Light Extract info
1.0 oz. Perle (Pellets, 8.25 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1.0 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
1.0 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min. info
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) used as dry hop. info
4 tsp. Yeast Nutrient(@15 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Irish moss) (@15 min)
Yeast : White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Primary for 1 week. Dry hop in secondary 1 week.

IBU = 39.8
SRM = 13.23
OG predicted = 1.055
FG Predicted = 1.013
ABV predicted = 5.6%

Can I get some opinions on this partial mash SNPA inspired recipe I've been working on? I'd particularly like some feedback on the grains, both the amount and type.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Category American Ale
Subcategory American Pale Ale
Recipe Type Extract
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 2.5 gal.
Mash Efficiency 72 %
Total Grain/Extract 8.25 lbs.
Total Hops 3.0 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.) 217.9
Cost to Brew $54.50 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.) $1.02 (USD)

1.0 lbs. 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L info
7.25 lbs. Liquid Light Extract info
1.0 oz. Perle (Pellets, 8.25 %AA) boiled 60 min. info
1.0 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 15 min. info
1.0 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) boiled 5 min. info
1 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.50 %AA) used as dry hop. info
4 tsp. Yeast Nutrient(@15 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Irish moss) (@15 min)
Yeast : White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Primary for 1 week. Dry hop in secondary 1 week.

IBU = 39.8
SRM = 13.23
OG predicted = 1.055
FG Predicted = 1.013
ABV predicted = 5.6%

I never used yeast nutrient in the boil, so I can't speak to that at all.

As far as the hopping in the recipe, it's good. That's not a partial mash, though. It's an extract recipe with steeping grains, so you can change the "type" because the 72% efficiency is wrong since it's set up as a partial mash.

I'd also add at least 1/2 of the extract at/near the end of the boil to keep it from darkening and being thick.

I never used yeast nutrient in the boil, so I can't speak to that at all.

As far as the hopping in the recipe, it's good. That's not a partial mash, though. It's an extract recipe with steeping grains, so you can change the "type" because the 72% efficiency is wrong since it's set up as a partial mash.

I'd also add at least 1/2 of the extract at/near the end of the boil to keep it from darkening and being thick.

If you need a cheat or something to think about, I did a SNPA clone kit. The hop schedule is one at 60 min, 15 min, 10min, 5min, 2min, flame out, and dry hop after peak fermentation is complete. It was 8 lbs of liquid malt extract with some steeping grains.

It is in the keg now and it is great. In fact, I like it better than SNPA out of the bottle.

I don't see where you need any help with this. It is almost identical to what has become my house Ale which I named appropriately PaleALe III. I don't mini mash, I use light pale DME. I use Crystal 60 and Carapils and almost the exact same hops schedule (I back the Perle and the 5 minute addition off to 1/2 oz). It has been given rave reviews by my peers. I think you will be very happy with it.

I don't use the whirfloc or the yeast nutrient, but they certainly won't hurt. And I use the dry version of your yeast US-05.

Looks good man. It's not a clone, there are some subtle differences, but I love it just the same. A clone would have Magnum as the bittering hops with Perle and Cascade as the flavoring, the rest would be the same. You won't be disappointed though.

Guess if I wanted to advise on this, I'd go 2 -3 weeks primary then dry hop for a week in the same primary. I don't secondary this Ale.

That looks pretty good. Real close to Biermuncher's nierra sevada recipe. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/nierra-sevada-session-snpa-clone-27673/

I have brewed that one a couple times and it is awesome. Very close to an SNPA. Most who have tasted it prefer it to SNPA.

I would change only a couple things. Use the us05 rather than the liquid, cut the crystal to 1/2lb, add 1/2lb of cara-pils , and replace the dry hop addition with 1/2 oz cascade at 2 min.

Jollytim- so your doing an extract batch, ...

1) how much are you boiling?
2) how is your color compared to SNPA?

bdeck02 - looks great, really similar to one I drafted in beersmith, only in extract

Not really a partial mash, just a steep right? You can't mash crystal malt alone. You could partial mash 1 lb crystal and 1-2 lbs 2-row malt (while reducing your LME by a pound or so).

Jollytim- so your doing an extract batch, ...

1) how much are you boiling?
2) how is your color compared to SNPA?

I use 6 pounds of Light DME (easier to for me to use 2 3lb bags). I don't have the capability of doing a 5 gallon full boil, so I do a partial boil.

I use two pans, one large pan with 1.5 gallons (but holds 3), and one smaller pan with 1/2 gallon of water. Heat them both, stop the 1/2 gallon at 160 degrees, and add my steeping grains to that one. Meanwhile watch the 1.5 gallons and stop it just as it reaches boiling point. At the end of my steeping, I add 20 - 25% of the DME to the larger pot. After rinsing and draining steeping grains, pour the 1/2 gallon into the larger pot. I now have 2.5 gallons, and this is my partial boil volume. Using a normal 60 minute hops schedule, I then add the remaining DME at flameout.

After cooling down the wort to pitching temps I add it to the fermenter and top it to 5 gallons.

My SRM comes out about 10, just a tad lighter than SNPA. It's not a clone, but definitely in the ballpark.

Great input guys!

So, here's what I've decided based on your recommendations:

*Using US-05 (straight pitch, no starter. Considering a double pitch.)
*Steeping grains will be 1/2# Crystal 60L and 1/2# Carapils
*Hop schedule is 1.0 oz Perle @ 60 min, .50 oz Cascade @ 15 min, 1.0 oz Cascade @ 5min, and .50 oz Cascade @ 2 min. This brings my IBU's to right on the money at 37. Same as SNPA. No dry hopping.
*Thinking 2 weeks or so in primary
*No late addition LME as color is down to 11 or so SMR by cutting back Crystal 60L to .50#.

What do you think? This is only my fourth recipe and my first APA. Only been homebrewing for a month now and I'm so stoked! I've totally been sucked in. Already thinking about making a water cooler style mash tun and heading into mini-mashes and all-grain.

I think you got a winner on your hands. Keep the fermentation at 70 or lower (I like 68), and you'll be real happy with that one.

You can dry hop if you want, I just throw pellets into the primary for the last 7 days. They will settle out by bottling day.

Back