Help with my Mash, please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
So I am doing a BIAB brew this Saturday. I think my Mash pot isn't going to be big enough to have all my water and grain in one pot.

My sparge pot will be big enough for the sparge.

My question is, if I have two decent sized pots (not including my sparge pot) could I split my grain up into two separate mashes and just sparge them at the same time and end up with the same result as if i mashed them at the same time?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is worded weird. Now very used to the

BPhad said:
Yes you can do this. I did several split 3 gallon biab

Sent before I was done
But yes just split it up then combine in fermenter, it will work fine.

Okay cool, very good to know. It's only my mash that can't be done in one pot but my sparge/boil pot will handle everything else.
Thanks everyone.

Make sure you mix your specialty grains well with your base grains (or split evenly %wise) to ensure you get proper conversion. You don't want to end up with one pot that has primarily specialty grains, with mostly base grain in the second pot.

Make sure you mix your specialty grains well with your base grains (or split evenly %wise) to ensure you get proper conversion. You don't want to end up with one pot that has primarily specialty grains, with mostly base grain in the second pot.

Okay, good to know because I was just gonna basically have one pot be mostly my 2 row pale malt and the other pot consist of basically all my specialty malt. Now I know to mix it up.
Thanks!

This was my first concern when I read the first posts. Without the base malt, you can't do much with the specialty grains (no extra enzymes), so put half the specialty stuff with half the 2row in one pot and the other half of each in the other pot. Glad somebody mentioned it!

Back