Help with motorized grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insanity

Reaction score
I have a vintage electric motor that I think is circa 1950s. It is an Apex Elec. Co. Rotarex 1750 RPM motor. My challenge is that it rotates the opposite direction I would need in order to turn the grain mill in the correct direction.

I figured my options are to either setup some gearing to reverse it between the motor and the mill, or change the wiring in the motor to reverse the rotation. My problem is I am unclear how to change the wiring.

I plan on attaching a larger pulley wheel onto the grain mill, probably around 12" diameter, the pulley wheel on the motor is 2.5", and the RPM should be reduced enough for the needs.

If someone could assist in the wiring, I'd appreciate it.

I have a vintage electric motor that I think is circa 1950s. It is an Apex Elec. Co. Rotarex 1750 RPM motor. My challenge is that it rotates the opposite direction I would need in order to turn the grain mill in the correct direction.

I figured my options are to either setup some gearing to reverse it between the motor and the mill, or change the wiring in the motor to reverse the rotation. My problem is I am unclear how to change the wiring.

I plan on attaching a larger pulley wheel onto the grain mill, probably around 12" diameter, the pulley wheel on the motor is 2.5", and the RPM should be reduced enough for the needs.

If someone could assist in the wiring, I'd appreciate it.

Could you simply rotate the motor so its mounted the opposite direction and maybe facing the mill instead of along side it?... Thats what I did with my last motor setup.

Could you simply rotate the motor so its mounted the opposite direction and maybe facing the mill instead of along side it?... Thats what I did with my last motor setup.

Basically attached the axle of the grain mill directly to the axle of the motor? This wouldn't allow me to reduce the RPMs.

Anyways, I was able to figure it out once I got a hold of a friend.

Basically attached the axle of the grain mill directly to the axle of the motor? This wouldn't allow me to reduce the RPMs.

Anyways, I was able to figure it out once I got a hold of a friend.
No, you could still use pulleys or whatever to adjust the speed... I did. Why would the motor orientation prevent attaching pulleys to the shafts? I dont know what your setup was like but it works either way.

Back