Help with IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris_

Reaction score
I'm looking for some recommendations or adjustments for this IPA recipe. Any help is greatly appreciated.

12lbs - 2row
0.5lbs - Crystal 40
0.5lbs - Carapils

.75oz - Columbus @60 (~40 Ibus)
.5oz - Chinook @10min (~8.5 Ibus)
1oz - Amarillo @5min (~6 Ibus)
1oz - Chinook dry hop
1oz - Amarillo dry hop

Yeast - Wyeast American ale II 1272

Grist, yeast and hop choices all solid. Need more cowbell, I mean hops

IBU's are fine - Double the dry hop. Looks like a perfectly fine IPA.

Will be tasty and solid. Personally, I would move the 10 min Chinook and the 5 min Amarillo to 2 min and double the Chinook, but I am a Chinook nut....

Personally, I would move the 10 min Chinook and the 5 min Amarillo to 2 min and double the Chinook, but I am a Chinook nut....
Or... move them to a 30' whirlpool/hop stand at 160F. Get the difference in IBUs from Columbus at 60'.

1272 is a great yeast for citrusy IPAs!
Make sure you have an adequate sized starter for that gravity. Aerate/oxygenate well when pitching.

Or... move them to a 30' whirlpool/hop stand at 160F. Get the difference in IBUs from Columbus at 60'.

1272 is a great yeast for citrusy IPAs!
Make sure you have an adequate+1 sized starter for that gravity. Aerate/oxygenate well when pitching.

+1

Oxidation kills hop flavor and aroma.
So try to avoid any oxygen/air exposure after fermentation. No secondaries, leave it in "primary" until ready to package.

Thanks for the input all. I think I’ll go with the whirlpool and increase the chinook to 1oz, bump up the 60min addition for the ibus, as well as bump up the dry hop addition a bit.

Back