Help with ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcarlton74

Bill's Basement Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Local brewery and brew shop are doing a wort rally for charity. I buy 5 or more gallons of wort, add whatever yeast and ingredients I want. Looking to do either two 5 gallon batches or two 2.5 gallon batches. Going to be brewing with a couple of family members and a friend. The wort will be a wheat with pilsner and wheat using crystal and liberty hops. We want to do a dry hopped wheat and an orange vanilla using lactose. Anyone have any suggestions for either? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Thanks. I am going to assume the amounts you are suggesting are based on 5 gallons. I have read that 1 can of the blood orange might not be enough. Don't want to go overboard with it though.

Thanks. I am going to assume the amounts you are suggesting are based on 5 gallons. I have read that 1 can of the blood orange might not be enough. Don't want to go overboard with it though.

Yes, sorry, 5 gallons, but experiment as everyone's tastes are different. I used the large can of blood orange. I can take a photo and post if needed.

3 lb, 1 oz can. I had a Blood Orange Wheat on tap at a family Christmas gathering a few years ago. Even usual B-M-C drinkers raved about it.

Blood Orange.jpg

Thanks. Totally excited about this one. Was thinking about dry hopping the other one with an ounce of centennial or cascade

So I will be bottle conditioning these beers. Will the blood orange puree or vanilla have any effect on the carbonation or should I proceed as normal?

It may add a small bit, but nothing to worry about. I've done many times. No bottle bombs!

I'd recommend calculating the amount of sugar to add (corn, malt, etc) for the batch size.

Use a clean and sanitized bottling bucket. Bottles and caps are clean and sanitized.

Use clean and sanitized transferring equipment.

Carefully, without introducing oxygen, transfer to bottling bucket leaving trub behind.

Cover bottling bucket with clean and sanitized lid. At this point, we're just covering the bucket with the lid and not sealing the lid attempting to prevent anything from the air going into the open bottling bucket.

With a clean and sanitized spoon, gently, no splashing, stir in the flavoring (blood orange, vanilla, etc).

Cover bottling bucket with clean and sanitized lid. At this point, we're just covering the bucket with the lid and not sealing the lid attempting to prevent anything from the air going into the open bottling bucket.

Either save priming solution ready or do now.

With a clean and sanitized spoon, gently, no splashing, stir in the priming.

Fill bottle, set cap on top, but don't, just yet, close/crimp the cap.

Finish the rest of the bottles. Hear the "dancing caps"?

Cap the bottles. Clean off any beer on the bottles, mark the caps or bottles as appropriate to identify what's inside the bottles and store in a relatively cool, for example, basement temps location.

Wait a few weeks. Easy way to tell if the beer in the bottle is carbonated, without opening and either drinking flat beer or wasting, is to hold the bottle up to a light source. The bottle will "clear" from the top down as the contents carbonate.

Let us know how things turn out.

Probably biggest mistake most make is not taking into consideration the natural carbonation in the beer. They then prime without taking into consideration and they overprime, have gusher or have bottle bomb.

Account for the lowest temp of the beer before packaging (as colder = more CO2 is able to go into the solution).

I know BeerSmith takes temp into account when calculating recommended priming.

I'd hope other software and online calculators also take temp into account.

For bottling, I account for warmest temp post-fermentation.

If the beer ferments at 65 then a d-rest at 70, the warmer temp releases some CO2. Bring it down to 35 for a cold crash, it doesn't gain any more CO2. I use the 70.

I'm definitely crazy with my cleaning and sanitizing. I generally put priming sugar in bottling bucket first then transfer. Should I not put the other ingredients in first so they mix while transferring?

So I'm not sure on CO2 as this is my first American Wheat. Lowest temp before I bottle will be 66(unless I should be doing something different with this style). Volume I will be picking up from the brewery is 10 gallons(2 5 gallon batches). So won't have an exact volume until after fermentation. I will be doing a 1 oz dry hop on one batch and the above mentioned ingredients added to the second batch.

Using the Brewers Friend calculator I think I will be somewhere between 4 and 4.5 oz of corn sugar depending on volume. Thanks for all the information. I learn more and more everyday!

Back