Help with Hot Fermentation and adding flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisluggo

Reaction score
I have a beer in a 82* water bath, and my sg is 1.012. I think it is getting close to finishing but then what? I want it to clear a bit and and some ginger and lemon flavoring.

Do I leave it in the hot water bath, or do I pull it out and let it sit in my 62* basement?

You'll need to give some more info on this one. What's the beer? What's the yeast? 82 degs is high for most beers. How long has it been fermenting?

Sure,
It is rather simple; 6 # of Pilsen dme, 1oz of hops, pitched with wyeast 3726 (saison strain). It was put into fermentation on Saturday.

Sure,
It is rather simple; 6 # of Pilsen dme, 1oz of hops, pitched with wyeast 3726 (saison strain). It was put into fermentation on Saturday.

No offense OP, but it is sounding like you are fermenting at 82 degrees:D

I hope not, but anyway taste it. I assume it has to be done or close to it. My guess is 1.010-1.012 is done. Maybe you measured a little wrong?

What is the water bath for btw? To get it hot? Did you start cold?

No offense OP, but it is sounding like you are fermenting at 82 degrees:D

I hope not, but anyway taste it. I assume it has to be done or close to it. My guess is 1.010-1.012 is done. Maybe you measured a little wrong?

What is the water bath for btw? To get it hot? Did you start cold?

Nope, it is a saison strain which should be fermented hot, up to 90*.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/PC3q2008.cfm

Yes, 82* is OK for that strain.

Ironically I'm fermenting a saison (w/ a mix of 3726 and 3724) at the moment and it's at 88*, down from 90*. I brewed mine on Sunday. I pitched at 75*,ramped up to 90* by Tuesday and will slowly drop down to 68* over the next four days. I plan to check the SG this Sunday. I plan 2 weeks in the primary and then to keg.

<<now back to your beer>>

As far as flavor and clarity go.... I'd taste it on Saturday and see what flavors you get from the yeast. You might just like it as-is. From there you could possible add spices to the fermenter if you think it needs it. And..... Letting it sit another week past Saturday will help clear it up from what you see right now (orange mud, right?).

Thanks for the ramp down schedule. I appreciate it, and you are right the beer currently looks like orange mud.

If fermentation of the complex sugars is finished, you can bring the temperature down. Probably best done over a couple of days. Adding flavorings or even simple sugars can be done at room temperature.

Latest posts

Back