Help with heating Johnson Controll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theintern43

Reaction score
So I bought a new Idylise 7.1 chest freezer and a johnson temperature controller and want it at 68 for a Belgian I plan to brew and ferment at but Im having a hard time getting it off of 65 and up to 68, I have the freezer on the lowest possible setting too, please help

This bed time stout is getting to me, I had to read that three times before I got it.

You have no heat source, just a cold source. If your fermentation isn't producing enough heat to even reach your desired set point, it's just going to sit there until it does. Or doesn't.

You don't mention which Johnson you're using, but it's likely irrelevant. With no heat source and a vessel filled with something that isn't particularly exothermic, the freezer and the controller are just going to sit there, idle...

Cheers!

This bed time stout is getting to me, I had to read that three times before I got it.

You have no heat source, just a cold source. If your fermentation isn't producing enough heat to even reach your desired set point, it's just going to sit there until it does. Or doesn't.

You don't mention which Johnson you're using, but it's likely irrelevant. With no heat source and a vessel filled with something that isn't particularly exothermic, the freezer and the controller are just going to sit there, idle...

Cheers!

lol Im not sure what a "bed time stout" is but I think I understand what your saying, sorry I recently acquired nerve damage in my hand so typing becomes really hard after a day of bussing tables...

but what Im gathering now is that the freezer and johnson control together will not produce any heat (well no duh! its a freezer) and my apartment is set at 66 degrees so its all making sense now. But I also didn't understand that the freezer will turn completely off when its too cold and kick on when its too warm and not just be regulated by the johnson controll, (i thought the freezer would always be on and just be regulated)..any tips on heating it up in there for my primary as Im brewing a belgian after class today? I assume just a heating blanket.

I live in Austin Texas and its 41 degrees right now so im betting on this equpiment to be of much greater use in the 100 degree summers and 80 degree springs

also sorry for the word vomit Im on (perscribed) pills for my nerve damage that make me a little loopy

anywho thank you for the reply any and all help is appreciated!

I use a ceramic reptile heater (just screws into a standard light socket) to being my fermentation fridge up to temp.

Note, you may be better off getting a dual stage controller (STC-1000) so that you can heat or cool as needed.

In a pinch, a low wattage heater - like the reptile bulb, for instance - could be left running and the Johnson would switch the compressor on and off to compensate for the added heat load.

But the recommendation for a dual-stage controller is apt for fermenters, unless one lives in a region where the temperature is either always above - or always below - the desired range of fermentation temperatures.

I don't know anyone that lives in such a place, though no doubt they exist :)

Cheers!

In a pinch, a low wattage heater - like the reptile bulb, for instance - could be left running and the Johnson would switch the compressor on and off to compensate for the added heat load.

But the recommendation for a dual-stage controller is apt for fermenters, unless one lives in a region where the temperature is either always above - or always below - the desired range of fermentation temperatures.

I don't know anyone that lives in such a place, though no doubt they exist :)

Cheers!

so whats a bed time stout?

hahahaha! 11-12% ABV, black as night, and gives Young's Double Chocolate Stout (draft - the canned version is a piss-poor substitute) a run for its money.

I always have this on tap. A short pour when I'm thinking the day is pretty much done and when I hit the rack I'm out in seconds.

It's A Good Thing...

Cheers! :)

Back