Help with first biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, not quite a bit. Depending on the ratio you choose to use, between (.1 and .125 gallons) per pound of grain. So if you do the 1 quart of water per pound of grain like Northern Brewer recommends in their partial mash walk-through, with the same amount of water for sparge, you end up with around 3 gallons in the boil pot. But they account for that in their fermentables bills in their recipes, and make sure that the DME makes up for the lower gravity runnings of the sparge, as well as the addition you will do in the fermenter. They describe doing a 3.5 gallon boil and topping up to 5 gallons in the fermenter. I'm not arguing that a sparge can't or shouldn't be done, just that you have to account for gravity. I don't know why that's so hard to comprehend, it's a basic concept in brewing. Here is the link for the OP. I apologize to him for this nonsense. I suggest he do more research on his own elsewhere and invest in some good brewing books. Just like the news, don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Ok this is what I did.
And everything turned out great so far.
I did a 3 gallon mash 1 gallon
sparge.
3lbs dme
Along with 1 lbs corn sugar
My target gravity was 1.079 and I got 1.070

Sounds like everything went well! With the corn sugar, I'm calculating 1.071 at 75% efficiency so seems like you're spot on and doing quite well with efficiency for your first BIAB. Cheers!

86.3% efficiency according to Beer Smith. Very impressive indeed.

Ad1OOVa.jpg

I think you may be having some issues using Beer Smith that might have fueled a bit of the debate here as far as the efficiency calculations. That's not my usual calculator, I use Brewtoad primarily. Decided to second check with the Brewer's Friend calculator there to make sure I wasn't the one getting erroneous numbers here, every resource I check is in the same ballpark.

Ad1OOVa.jpg

I think you may be having some issues using Beer Smith that might have fueled a bit of the debate here as far as the efficiency calculations. That's not my usual calculator, I use Brewtoad primarily. Decided to second check with the Brewer's Friend calculator there to make sure I wasn't the one getting erroneous numbers here, every resource I check is in the same ballpark.

I'm man enough to admit that's possible. But I think it's the overall volume. I was basing on 5 gallons, not 5.5. BS defaults to 5 gallons. Change your setting to 5 gallons and it's closer to the BS calculation I posted. I also was basing on the original recipe without the corn sugar. That was an added fermentable, not in the original.

I Like the fact that op did what the reasonable answers gave him, and got a good brew day and efficiency despite the almost 4 pages of bickering about thw evilness of sparging.
Apparently a partial mash with an oz of dme means the grains are for coloring and taste...

Yea there was a bit o useful info in there, but a lot more of it was just emotional backlashing and more confusing to a new brewery. You want them to start with eherms biab? Good luck with that

Back