Help with carbonator cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
Ok I transfered a 2 liter bottle of Irish Red Ale off my tap. It has always had a nice head. I filled my 2 liter bottle last night pushed the air out until I got liquid and toped off the bottle with 12 psi of co2. I brought this to work to give some samples out. Well I opened the bottle and a nice loud "pshht" out of the bottle. However there was no head NONE? What did I do wrong?

Just because there's pressure in the bottle doesn't mean that there is CO2 dissolved in the beer. It could be that a lot of the dissolved CO2 got out when you filled the 2L bottle, and there wasn't enough time or pressure to recarbonate it.

Just a guess.

On another note, you can take beer to work? I'm jealous.

Just because there's pressure in the bottle doesn't mean that there is CO2 dissolved in the beer. It could be that a lot of the dissolved CO2 got out when you filled the 2L bottle, and there wasn't enough time or pressure to recarbonate it.

Just a guess.

On another note, you can take beer to work? I'm jealous.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe I should have added more psi?? Maybe the same psi put should have gave it a shake for a few minutes then topped it off once more??

Oh and yes my boss ask for my beer all the time lol. That is the one reason I got the carbonater cap.

Chill your beer, hook up to CO2 and SHAKE THE CRAP OUTTA IT! I use mine mostly for carbonated water, juice, or whatever I feel like experimenting with. You have to set the PSI to where you want it, and shake it to dissolve the CO2 until it equalizes (keep shaking till your tank stops pushing CO2). When you disconnect it make sure the poppet isn't leaking; I have this issue and have read others do as well, it will slowly leak unless it's seated just right. Just wiggle it around to seal it if it leaks some. Hope this helps!

Chill your beer, hook up to CO2 and SHAKE THE CRAP OUTTA IT! I use mine mostly for carbonated water, juice, or whatever I feel like experimenting with. You have to set the PSI to where you want it, and shake it to dissolve the CO2 until it equalizes (keep shaking till your tank stops pushing CO2). When you disconnect it make sure the poppet isn't leaking; I have this issue and have read others do as well, it will slowly leak unless it's seated just right. Just wiggle it around to seal it if it leaks some. Hope this helps!

It was cold and carbed. when I transferd it to the 2l bottle. I think I need to experiment more with it lol

I always use 30 psi with the carbonator cap, even if filling from a keg. I like the bottle to be hard as a rock.

I always use 30 psi with the carbonator cap, even if filling from a keg. I like the bottle to be hard as a rock.

Even if the beer is already carbed? I mean this beer was in a keg and carbed for weeks.

Thanks for alll the help

Like Bottle-o-Jeff said... you probably knocked the carbonation out of the beer when you filled it. Some time or some shaking under pressure as mentioned above as well will put it back in.

Unless you pour it with a counter-pressure filler (Biermunch designed a great cheap version in the DIY forum), you are probably agitating the CO2 out of the beer.

I do as well. I tend to even give it a little (note that it says LITTLE) shake and hit it again with 30 psi.
I like my bubbles.

Even if the beer is already carbed? I mean this beer was in a keg and carbed for weeks.

Thanks for alll the help

Yep. It doesn't seem to hurt.

I got the last bits of an Amber Ale out of my 3 gallon keg Sunday (I needed to clean it for the next batch). I put the ale into 1 liter and 20 oz thick PET bottles, then hit them each with a squirt of 30 psi CO2 for about 30 minutes each. That knocks the foam down and give the bottles a little extra pressure.

Tasty.

:D

When I use the Carbonator, I always shake the bottle until the CO2 stops flowing. That's the only thing that works for me.

When I use the Carbonator, I always shake the bottle until the CO2 stops flowing. That's the only thing that works for me.

Un-carbed beer, yeah, I shake the crap out of it.

If it is carbed beer from the keg, I just hit it with a little high pressure CO2 to make up for what is lost in filling the bottle.

I love my carbonator cap. I think what these guys said is right. Always hit it with 30-40 PSI after you put beer in it whether it is carbed or not. Make sure you squeeze the excess air out of the bottle too by squeezing the bottle while pushing doqn on the poppet with your finger nail. Once you have liquid coming out the poppet then you should connect it to the gas line which is already slightly pressurized. Turn it up to 30 PSI and shake the hell out of it. I just pulled a sample from a carboy that I have crash cooling and put it in a PET bottle to carbonate and sample. Carbed beer in five minutes...who can beat that. I hated sitting around waiting for bottles to carbonate.

Thaks every one for all the tips!! I am going to do a trial run later this week..

My only problem with this is that beer foam can get up into your gas line. I charge it with 30-40 lbs, disconnect and then shake the crap out of it. Repeat after it has had time to settle a little until it no longer takes any CO2.

My only problem with this is that beer foam can get up into your gas line. I charge it with 30-40 lbs, disconnect and then shake the crap out of it. Repeat after it has had time to settle a little until it no longer takes any CO2.

I always pop the gas connector off the cap before I shake the bottle. If the bottle is upright when you re-connect the gas, the 30 psi pushes the foam right back down.

quick question, that may sound stupid. I am thinking of getting one of the carbonator caps. I see people saying they are doing more than one bottle. After you carb it in the bottle whether one or two liter, is there anyway at all to do another one? How in the world do you keep the co2 in if have to pull off the carbonator? Can you put the bottles own cap back on and shake and stilll get some carobonation. How do you do more than one bottle with the carbonator?

thanks

quick question, that may sound stupid. I am thinking of getting one of the carbonator caps. I see people saying they are doing more than one bottle. After you carb it in the bottle whether one or two liter, is there anyway at all to do another one? How in the world do you keep the co2 in if have to pull off the carbonator? Can you put the bottles own cap back on and shake and stilll get some carobonation. How do you do more than one bottle with the carbonator?

thanks

Basically I over carbonate the beer in the two liter, take off the carb cap, quickly replace it with a normal cap. It works pretty well.

As long as the beer/soda has co2 in solution, it shouldn't go too flat. It's just like a 2-liter of soda from the store... rock hard until you open it the first time. Once opened, the gas comes out of solution to fill the space and reach equilibrium again, but at a lower pressure.

thanks,,I am also making BM's "No stinking Beer Gun" also to fill up some bottled to swap out etc..thanks

Hey I forgot that I used the cap last week and put 30 psi and it worked perfectly!!!!!

Thanks for all the help every one

Back