Help with Brewer’s Best Belgian Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakerpolar

Reaction score
I’m new brewing beer and this will be my third batch. I bought a Belgian Tripel kit form Brewer’s Best. The ingredients are: 6.6 lb light lme, 3 LB Pilsen DME, 1 lb Light Candi Sugar, 8 oz Maltodextrin, 4 oz Aromatic, 1.5 oz bittering, 1 oz aroma and yeast. The kit says the ABV will be between 8.5% to 9%. How can I modify the recipe to obtain a beer with ABV around 5%. My limited knowledge tells me to cut he candi sugar but don’t’ know how much. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

3 ways you can do that. One and probably the easiest would be to reduce the amount of fermentables. You could come close to yourdesired ABV by estimating what % reduction u want in ABV then reducing your malt in equal% amounts to get there.
If you just take away the candied sugar you will change the character of the beer so I don't recommend that one.
Or you could add more water. If u boil extra and mix with the wort you can see your OG going down and recalculate until u get where u want to be.
Keep in mind, by reducing the ABV you're not going to end up with the same taste/mouthfeel as a true tripel.
Good luck.

If you have a set up to brew roughly 7 gallons of beer I'd recommend trying that. Follow the same instructions just make 7 gallons of wort instead of 5. Ive made this kit before and it was pretty tasty in the 5 gallon wort.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to do the hole recipe. Changing the subject. How long did you leave it in primary/secundary?

I left it in the primary just shy of 4 weeks I believe and then bottled it. I drank most of it within the first month of it carbonating (it was my first beer :eek: haha). I did have a six pack or two stashed away and it was fantastic after 2-3 months of bottle conditioning!

Latest posts

Back