Help with: BIERE DU BOUCANIER GOLDEN ALE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerville

Reaction score
Hey can anyone find out what type of yeast I should use and the amount of hops and their times for this recipe...its Belgian

"BIERE DU BOUCANIER GOLDEN ALE

Alcohol content: alc. 11% vol.

Production system: high fermentation, non-pasteurised, fully natural product, refermentation in the bottle and keg

Type: super golden ale

Category: special beer

Colour: golden blond

Taste: intense and robust, richly malted

Bouquet: pronounced and lingering

Head: white and creamy

kind of malt is "Scarlet pilsener malt " purified water from the brewery's source yeast developed and cultured in our laboratory
types of hop: Hallertau, Saaz, Spalt
Not used: spices, aromatic herbs"

Thats from their website...

Thanks!

Well, you asked so I gave you my best answer re: the yeast.

As for the hops, all three are generally used as aroma hops, so I dunno. I'm sure Saaz doesn't work well as a bitteirng hop, but I have used Hallertauer for bittering in a hefe before. I don't know squat about Spalt.

The only recipe I have that looks similar if for a 7.7% ABV Belgian "strong golden ale". It uses .75oz Brewer's gold for bittering, .5oz Hallertau Hersbrucker at 15 min, and .25oz Styrian Goldings for aroma at 2 min.

So, looks like we might have the flavor hop nailed down. Sub the Saaz for aroma, and the Spalt for bittering, and I'll bet it gets you there.

I stopped at the big liquor store on the island that stocks imported exotic beers earlier tonight. One of the 6 I bought was a Biere Du Boucanier Golden Ale. I cracked it an hour ago. Wow, I defintely want to make this one. I think 12 oz bottles would probably be wiser with an 11% alcohol level.

Any word on this batch Somerville? Did you attempt it?:confused:

Back