Help with attenuation issues....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You didn't state what your OG is and what your expected FG, nor did you mention what yeast you use. All these things will impact your FG. But, I'll give my speel...temp control is extremely important, if it is fluctuating up and down you can crash out your yeast. Oxygenate with oxygen, especially for those high grav beers. Double check your thermometer...sometimes they may be accurate in one temp range and not so much in another (I have one that is dead on at boiling and freezing, but is off around 3 degrees right in the 150 range). Use a quality yeast nutrient. Pitch at the correct temp.

Anyway, if you see what I'm getting at...give your yeast every opportunity to be as healthy as possible so they can weather the osmotic shock of being dumped into a high grav beer and can finish strong in a high alcohol environment.

details? recipe, yeast, process - without all the info it is hard to say what's up.

I've noticed a much improved attenuation with my beers now that I use Wyeast nutrient at 10 minutes left in the boil. It is inexpensive and when used in my liquid starters they go nuts, so I am attributing my improved ferment to nutrient.

Apologies for not including more detail, this has been an ongoing trend in several recipes. I've been using a glass alcohol thermometer to measure the mash temps, fermentation is done in an insulated room with a temp controlled heater and a backup thermometer to double check the air temps, fermometer strips on the carboys.

so far as the wort is concerned, oxygenated with an oxygen tank and .5 micron stone. Havent tried nutrient, but that does make a lot of sense, in reading somewhere ( i think in palmer's book) i was under the impression that the yeast were getting plenty of food to do their job from the wort itself, but with it being so cheap, why not stack the deck in my favor.

do you guys think that fermaid K will work?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Latest posts

Back