Help with a new Burner (propane)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romex2121

Reaction score
I thought i had a decent burner until i tried heating 6 gals. Of wort , (only 2.5 gals done so far) it seemed to take forever and it barely kept a light boil, Almost no hot break due to such a light boil.
Ive got a $500.00 gift card for wal-mart i got from work for being a good employee ,, LOL,,
while looking at burners on web site there were so many different BTU's i was unsure what i needed but didnt want to get something so big that it was overkill ..
I want one that will boil enough wort for 5 gal. Brews and do it quickly also maintain a good rolling boil.....

Think BTUs. 54000 is the bare minimum IMO. 72000 is better.

Also IMO, find someone to trade you money for that gift card and buy a Blichmann Hellfire. 140000 BTUs.

Last edited:
Think BTUs. 54000 is the bare minimum IMO. 72000 is better.

Also IMO, find someone to trade you money for that gift card and buy a Blick Mann Hellfire. 140000 BTUs.

I would say yes to about 50000 to 55000 being the minimum. But more of a concern, to me, is controlling the flame. I have a Bayou Classic SP10 burner. It is 55000 BTU so on the minimum end. But I get sputtering and possible loss of flame when I turn it down. I have a pretty vigorous boil and high boil off rate because of that.

I cannot get it low enough even at only 55000 btu. And it is Blichmann.

I also have a cheap Turkey Fryer burner for my HLT. At 45000 btu it is a little slow but it works fine. You do have to disable a safety switch though.

Best burner = 5500kW electric element!

You'll never go back.

I agree.

It's also the most expensive alternative, by quite a bit, unless you already have the wiring in place. Even then, it's still likely to be a few hundred at least. Between adding 240v power to my garage, getting a controller panel, the conduit, drilling the hole and getting the fitting to add the element to my kettle....I'm in the $1000 range for that.

Propane is cheaper in the near term, and for quite a long time, actually. But you're right, nothing beats it if you can get it.

[...]I have a Bayou Classic SP10 burner.[...]And it is Blichmann.[...]

iirc, Blichmann never made a burner with an BG-10 element. The closest would be their Anvil "Forge" model but even that uses their own version of something close to a BG-12 element. Otherwise there is their classic BG-14 "Top Tier"/"Floor Burner" and their recent proprietary HellFire...

Cheers!

...Ive got a $500.00 gift card for wal-mart...didnt want to get something so big that it was overkill ... 5 gal. Brews and do it quickly...

Of the options available at WalMart.com I'd pick these (in order of preference):

1. Bayou Classic Banjo Stainless Steel Outdoor Burner $145

2. Gas One Propane Single Burner $99

The burners that have a single small jet, like the BC SP10, are annoyingly loud and they concentrate the heat on a small area. The banjo style burners are MUCH better, and MUCH more enjoyable to use. They heat faster, quieter, with a more even heat distribution. They are not overkill for 5gal batches.

The extra cost for the stainless one is worth it. The paint on the plain steel ones will burn off and make a mess, and if exposed to moisture the metal will rust. The extra $ to avoid that is well worth it in the long run.

Woof - BC fits a 30 psi reg on that SS burner rig!

fwiw, my Floor Burners (converted for my single tier rig) use 10 psi regs for 10 gallon batches with tons of headroom to spare - I rarely run them higher than half wide open.
Not sure why anyone would need 30 psi on that element, but there ya go ;)

Cheers!

iirc, Blichmann never made a burner with an BG-10 element. The closest would be their Anvil "Forge" model but even that uses their own version of something close to a BG-12 element. Otherwise there is their classic BG-14 "Top Tier"/"Floor Burner" and their recent proprietary HellFire...

Cheers!
No, the HellFire is a Blichmann not a Blick Mann........

That was autocorrect, which I've corrected in my original message. Sent it early today from a tablet (which acts like a phone) while I was doing some cardio. Missed the auto "correct."

Auto correct makes for some hilarious posts..... I type badly so I almost always proof read. I find some very interesting things that came from my fingers.....

Latest posts

Back