help with a lager starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not recommended to make starters with dry yeast. Rehydrate 2 pks then add cold water over 10-20 minutes to get the temp down near pitching temp. Then pitch.

It's not recommended to make starters with dry yeast. Rehydrate 2 pks then add cold water over 10-20 minutes to get the temp down near pitching temp. Then pitch.

thanks for the advice. I did my best to get the temp of the wort down but I could only get it to 65f so I pitched. it went straight in my fermentation chamber and is bubbling away at 55f

I didn't want to leave for that long before pitching. if that's works ok for you then I will try it next time
this was my first lager.

Why not put it in the ferm chamber first and get down to 55F and then pitch? Thats what I usually do.

+1 to that.

I wait till it's 48F and pitch the yeast to ferment at 50F for my lagers with WLP833.

NB: 2 lagers under my belt so hardly experienced advice.

Having said that I do the same with ales and hybrids pitching them at 62F and 56F respectively.

My ground water even with a pre chiller and plate chiller combo simply prohibits immediate cooling to my desired pitching temperatures.

I will try that next time. I didn't want to chance infection by pitching later. also could anyone help with a d-rest. I'm following https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=147772. he says to primary for 30 days at 55f. then d-rest for 72 hours. my sg was 1.051. from what I've read I should start the d rest at 1.012. then lager at 33f for 30 days

I will try that next time. I didn't want to chance infection by pitching later. also could anyone help with a d-rest. I'm following https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=147772. he says to primary for 30 days at 55f. then d-rest for 72 hours. my sg was 1.051. from what I've read I should start the d rest at 1.012. then lager at 33f for 30 days

I would not follow that schedule.

If you get a big healthy pitch of yeast you can be at terminal gravity, performed a short d-rest and keg for lagering at two weeks for what you are making.

revvy describes his temperature control by placing the beer in a cold loft and then some where else.

Depending on your ability to control temps you can have a lager packaged and lagering a lot sooner.

This is way to long of a fermentation with needless exposure to yeasty flavors for a lager IMO. Ferment to FG and package. Clears up your fermentation chamber for the next brew too. This was a misconception i had about lagers. I thought they would take way too long. Not so with tight temperature control and carefully planned temperature increases. Lots of ways to skin that cat though. Reevy's is not a wrong approach. Your approach can be better though.

The profile I have used and will be using for lagers ales and hybrids is shown in these recipe threads.

Lager

Hybrid

If you've got a chest freezer and STC your all set for lagers year round

Back