Help with a 1 gallon jug!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maclaren

Reaction score
So I brewed a 1 gallon Honey Hefe batch and let it ferment in a gallon jug for 2 weeks, then racked it to a second gallon jug to condition/carb for another 3 weeks. I placed it in the fridge, cracked it open the next day and it was flat! I looked at previous posts on here and found that a lot of you have had similar problems with 1 gallon jugs with screw caps.

My question is should I just dump the beer and start over? Or can I put the beer in standard bottles, cap them and save the beer? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

ya you could just rack into bottles with some more sugar, cap them and wait another two weeks.... You will probably be fine....

I was hoping so. Thank you very much for the response! I'm going to bottle tonight and hope for the best! :mug:

Don't throw it away...
Most caps I have used for gallon jugs leak gas like crazy.
I agree with jaken, bottle it.

I suggest when you bottle, you make 1 bottle a used soda bottle. That will tell you w/o opening a beer, has it carbonated enough. Filling one soda bottle per batch will save a lot of grief and heartache (lost beer)

In some ways it is good that those gallon jugs leak a bit on the cap. They are not designed to hold pressure and could explode if you try. Same is true for pretty much all growlers.

Let the priming solution cool while you transfer the contents of the secondary back into a sanitized container, stir in priming sugar, and bottle from there. I wouldn't want to do the math and measure out eye droppers of solution into each bottle.

1 gallon equals 10 bottles. so divide 2oz by 10, equals 0.2 oz. A half ounce is 1 Tablespoon, a quarter ounce is 1-1/2 teaspoons, so, 1-1/4 teaspoons should do it. Unless you forgot to factor in the sugar does add volume to the water. Okay, at this volume, 1 oz of added sugar to 2 oz of water is negligible, and does not need to be factored in. Unless you are counting drops,...

Okay, there are 30 drops to 1 mL, 30mL per ounce so 60 divided by 10 is 6 drops.

MindenMan CPhT (Pharmacy Tech.)

:pipe::pipe:
1 gallon equals 10 bottles. so divide 2oz by 10, equals 0.2 oz. A half ounce is 1 Tablespoon, a quarter ounce is 1-1/2 teaspoons, so, 1-1/4 teaspoons should do it. Unless you forgot to factor in the sugar does add volume to the water. Okay, at this volume, 1 oz of added sugar to 2 oz of water is negligible, and does not need to be factored in. Unless you are counting drops,...

Okay, there are 30 drops to 1 mL, 30mL per ounce so 60 divided by 10 is 6 drops.

MindenMan CPhT (Pharmacy Tech.)

Back