Help with 120v EBIAB controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarter5251

Reaction score
I am planning out a controller build for a 120V EBIAB system. I plan on using a 1500W element and I've seen many builds using LED push button switches in conjunction with a contactor since the switches are only rated for 10A. If I were to use a switch rated for 20A would this contactor be necessary?

Thanks in advance!

So I'm starting to get my controller wired up and wanted to check on something so I don't burn down the house.

The input of the SSR shouldn't draw very much amperage, correct? So I could use a smaller size wire (say 16 gauge) to wire my PID to my SSR correct?

Also, should 12 gauge be enough for running a 1500W element at 120V (12.5 amps by my calculation so I think it should be fine?)?

So I'm starting to get my controller wired up and wanted to check on something so I don't burn down the house.

The input of the SSR shouldn't draw very much amperage, correct? So I could use a smaller size wire (say 16 gauge) to wire my PID to my SSR correct?

Also, should 12 gauge be enough for running a 1500W element at 120V (12.5 amps by my calculation so I think it should be fine?)?

The PID to SSR control connections will carry less than 1 amp. You could use 20 gauge wire for that if you wanted.

12 gauge wire will be fine for connecting a 1500W element (ref.)

Brew on :mug:

If I wanted to add an outlet for a pump to my controller, would I add the current draw of the pump to the current draw of my heating element to determine the total amps of that circuit? If I'm plugging it into an outlet in my kitchen, I'm assuming it needs to stay below 15A and with a pump my total current would be about 13.5A if the pump and element are on. Would I be better off plugging the pump into an outlet separate from my controller box?

First have you checked the circuit you plan to use to see what its capacity is?

Second a couple of amps should be enough breathing room, you don't want to be too close to capacity or fluctuations in voltage may trip the circuit.

What's your intended batch size? 1500w is low for all but very small batches IME

Only planning on doing about 3 gallons at a time tops. My typical batch size is about 1.5 gallons, but would like to be able to do split batches for experimenting in the future (2 x 1.5 gallons)

i'd try to go for 2000w if you can - but 1500w is a touch cheaper for wiring stuff as you can stick with 12g wiring instead of 10g.
Although 1500w should be fine, i have 2x1500w elements in my kettle and do 6.5g preboils, so your 3g batches should work perfectly

i'd try to go for 2000w if you can - but 1500w is a touch cheaper for wiring stuff as you can stick with 12g wiring instead of 10g.
Although 1500w should be fine, i have 2x1500w elements in my kettle and do 6.5g preboils, so your 3g batches should work perfectly

14awg for 15a, 12awg for 20a, yes? :)

14awg for 15a, 12awg for 20a, yes? :)

hah! damn it... good call sir! had my build on the brain
(wiring it with 10 gauge so i can jump to 240 easier when needed)

15amp = 14g
20amp = 12g
30amp = 10g

Back