Help w/ coming up w/ Extract IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithpence

Reaction score
So I have some hops in my freezer and some light DME in my fridge, so I just ordered some yeast and DME to make an IPA w/ the hops I have on hand.

The stuff I have on hand is:

Citra: 50 grams
Columbus: 50 Grams
Magnum: 100 Grams
Summit: 50 Grams
3 kg Light DME
1.7 kg Light LME
1 kg Dextrose
US-05 Yeast

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a good IPA/DIPA recipe with these supplies? I was thinking of kind of experimenting, but this will only be my 3rd brew, and I don't want to waste the hops/DME/LME...

I think you pretty much have the recipe right there. Toss in all the sugar you have listed. Depending on the AA of the hops with a 5 gallon batch I'd bitter with 30-50g of the Magnum then load up the end of the boil with 3/4 of the other hops mixed and save the rest for dry hopping. Shoot for about 60-75 IBUs on the bitter addition.

I think you pretty much have the recipe right there. Toss in all the sugar you have listed. Depending on the AA of the hops with a 5 gallon batch I'd bitter with 30-50g of the Magnum then load up the end of the boil with 3/4 of the other hops mixed and save the rest for dry hopping. Shoot for about 60-75 IBUs on the bitter addition.

Awesome - I guess I was really just hoping to get some help w/ what hops to use as bittering / which to use for aroma and dry hop...looking forward to brewing this!

I think when it comes down to it, never waste Citra. Keep it as late in the boil or as much of the dry hop as possible. Summit does better when used late as well as it can get oniony in larger amounts in the boil. Columbus is a good universal dankifier throughout.

I think when it comes down to it, never waste Citra. Keep it as late in the boil or as much of the dry hop as possible. Summit does better when used late as well as it can get oniony in larger amounts in the boil. Columbus is a good universal dankifier throughout.

Agreed, I'd use the Magnum for bittering and all the rest late. What is your batch size though - if it's 19-20 L don't know that you want to use all those fermentables or you'll end up north of 1.100 I think. With 150g of finishing hops I'd probably go single IPA. In a 20l batch if you use all the LME plus 2 kg of DME and .25 kg dextrose you should get 1.068 and about 7% ABV or so.

Agreed, I'd use the Magnum for bittering and all the rest late. What is your batch size though - if it's 19-20 L don't know that you want to use all those fermentables or you'll end up north of 1.100 I think. With 150g of finishing hops I'd probably go single IPA. In a 20l batch if you use all the LME plus 2 kg of DME and .25 kg dextrose you should get 1.068 and about 7% ABV or so.

Thanks for the heads up - I'll be doing a 20L batch, so I'll go with what you suggested.

Back