Help Understanding Efficency calculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
I see everyone talking about calculating their efficency, and from the sounds of it, they do it before even making the beer. I am moving to all grain, and while getting my keg converted, and building my MLT I am trying to do as much research as possible.
I know efficency means the amount of sugar you converted against the amount of sugar available(at least I think). With that, how do you calculate efficency before brewing? I am assuming that once my process is somewhat dialed in, I can expect close to the same efficency, but what do I do for my first go-round?
My set up will be a 10 gallon round home depot cooler with cpvc manifolid to mash, and a keggle as HLT & BK. I will most likely batch sparge. I have beersmith, but my comp is fried right now(I will rebuild that after I am done with this stuff) I also have brewpal on the iphone. I know many people use beersmith, but anyone have any info or experience with brewpal?
Any and all help is appreciated!

Assume 65-75% for a first shot. Then go from there. Look up braukaiser.com for a great explanation.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
In assuming 65-75% would I need dme on hand to increase my gravity?
My First all grain I was going to get a kit from Austin Homebrew. I think he bases his kits on 75% efficiency. In that case, would I hit the OG for that kit, where as if I followed a recipe based on 80% I wouldn't?

Buy the way, all of your builds and ideas are awesome! I am happy I am able to convert a keg, and build a MLT. I consider myself handy, but don't think I be able to make what you have.

DME and some clean water is never a bad idea to have around. Missing gravity isn't that big of a deal. It isn't what the beer was designed to be but it will still be beer. You will have plenty of time for accuracy once your system is dialed in.

Basically, a recipe based on 80% eff. will have less grain than one based on 75%. Scaling based on your systems eff. helps get you to your targets so you brew your intended beer. Else you are really shooting in the dark.

I am glad you enjoy my ideas. They really aren't that tough to do, a little research and some willingness to try is all you need. and money..... that's the killer for me. and time.....

Basically, a recipe based on 80% eff. will have less grain than one based on 75%. Scaling based on your systems eff. helps get you to your targets so you brew your intended beer. Else you are really shooting in the dark.

Thanks for clarifying this part. I had no idea. I was going to add additional grain on my own...

Thanks for the help!

Back