Help troubleshooting a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussieskier

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of Edwort's PA a couple months back now.

Nottingham yeast,
temp: ~65
Primary: 4 weeks
FG: 1.012
Secondary 8 weeks and counting.

When I racked to secondary, with intention of waiting for a keg to open up, I noticed a smell of apples, which I thought might be acetaldehyde and figured it need more aging.

The smell still hasn't gone away and I cannot detect any off-flavors and there are no visible signs of infection and I don't believe it would have been oxidized while sitting in the primary...

I am trying to sort out what caused this.

Should should I just keg it, let the C02 help clean up and drink it? Or am I risking spreading some infection I can't id?

(I am decently sure that it isn't an infection because it doesn't taste like "Satan's Anus" and there the taste hasn't degraded over time, but the continued smell has me on edge :confused:)

It just has me baffled and no amount of searching seems to have turned up any clues so I decided to make a post.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

If it's just the smell that is a bit off and not the flavor, you should be fine. Obviously, the aroma is part of the overall experience, but usually as long as it isn't something in the beer as well the smell will mellow over time. I had a wheat not long ago that had a sulfur aroma that I couldn't shake for a few months. Beer tasted great, but the sulfur smell was taking forever to age out.

Well, after a lot of purging of the keg and many more weeks it finally subsided and it's pretty much what I expected. But yeah, it was annoying to have that smell linger even though everything else seemed good.

So, since you're talking about just an aroma and not an actual off flavor in the beer itself, just give it time and more than likely it will work itself out.

How accurate is your 65F fermentation temp? Maybe it was higher and your off on your calibration. 12 weeks ferment/age time for a Pale Ale is very long and the "green" flavors would be long gone. Have you brewed other beers with similar process and water that did not have this aroma?

Grassy hop aroma? That's a Cascade ale as I recall, are your hops a bit too green?

Definitely green apple smell.

This beer was my 8th batch and all the rest had similar process and water.

As for temp it could have been slightly higher during peak of fermentation, but the ambient temp was 65 +/- 1 in the basement where I ferment. Temperature was the one place that I thought I could have run possible issues, I have kept better track of temps in recent batches just in case. Would temp more likely create off flavors than simple smells?

Latest posts

Back