Help/Suggestions on Triple Barrel Big Bad Baptist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigarcherynut

Reaction score
Today I had a glass of Triple Barrel Big Bad Baptist by Epic Brewing Co. Being a fan of Porters, Stouts and bourbon barrel beers I found this quite delicious.Their website lists some of the ingredients for the beer and I'm looking at trying to brew this.

Would like some ideas on what I could do to make this. They use 3 barrels to age the coffee, coconut and nibs. Wondering how I could duplicate the effects without barrels. I'm not sure of the yeast they use or the quantities so was hoping you folks would give me some ideas. I'm doing all grain BIAB.

Thanks and excited to what I come up with.

There are a lot of great imperial stout recipes on this site. I'm not really which would be closest to Baptist but I would start an imperial stout recipe and age it on 0.25 oz/gal medium toast american oak cubes in secondary (worth waiting 6+ months). Boil the oak cubes in water for 2-3 min first.

Toast up some unsweetened coconut and add to secondary a week or so before packaging (2-3 oz/gal is good). Add cocoa nibs in the same manner (~1 oz/gal). Add a dark roast coffee in whole bean form to secondary 2 days or so before packaging (~0.5 oz/gal).

When I'm using multiple adjuncts to flavor a stout like this, I like to put them all in hop bags and tie unflavored floss around them with labels on the end. That way I can taste the beer and once a certain flavor is where I want, I can just yank it out and give the rest more time. I would do this in a keg if you can to avoid oxygen exposure, if not secondary is fine.

Finally, just add bourbon to taste. I like to start with 2 oz/gal and go from there.

There are a lot of great imperial stout recipes on this site. I'm not really which would be closest to Baptist but I would start an imperial stout recipe and age it on 0.25 oz/gal medium toast american oak cubes in secondary (worth waiting 6+ months). Boil the oak cubes in water for 2-3 min first.

Toast up some unsweetened coconut and add to secondary a week or so before packaging (2-3 oz/gal is good). Add cocoa nibs in the same manner (~1 oz/gal). Add a dark roast coffee in whole bean form to secondary 2 days or so before packaging (~0.5 oz/gal).

When I'm using multiple adjuncts to flavor a stout like this, I like to put them all in hop bags and tie unflavored floss around them with labels on the end. That way I can taste the beer and once a certain flavor is where I want, I can just yank it out and give the rest more time. I would do this in a keg if you can to avoid oxygen exposure, if not secondary is fine.

Finally, just add bourbon to taste. I like to start with 2 oz/gal and go from there.

Thanks for your reply. First, I use a 6 gallon carboy for my secondary. With adding the oak chips and other adjuncts I guess that I need to use a pail for the secondary.

Next I haven't used oak chips but from what I've read many soak them in bourbon and add the chips and bourbon into the secondary. When adding chips is it common practice to let it sit for the 6+ months?

They also talk about using rum barrels to age the coconut and nibs. I was thinking of trying the same as the oak and bourbon. Add rum to the nibs and coconut then add to the secondary. What do you think about doing that.

The taste of the rum and bourbon was subtle in this beer. The beer was quite unique as all the flavors came through at different times as you drank it. Not saying I will come close but thinking of taking half the batch and trying the extra adjuncts.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. First, I use a 6 gallon carboy for my secondary. With adding the oak chips and other adjuncts I guess that I need to use a pail for the secondary.

Next I haven't used oak chips but from what I've read many soak them in bourbon and add the chips and bourbon into the secondary. When adding chips is it common practice to let it sit for the 6+ months?

They also talk about using rum barrels to age the coconut and nibs. I was thinking of trying the same as the oak and bourbon. Add rum to the nibs and coconut then add to the secondary. What do you think about doing that.

The taste of the rum and bourbon was subtle in this beer. The beer was quite unique as all the flavors came through at different times as you drank it. Not saying I will come close but thinking of taking half the batch and trying the extra adjuncts.

Thanks again.

For oak aging in secondary, I would strongly recommend medium toast American oak CUBES instead of chips. Chips can impart a lot of one dimensional flavor in a short period of time, cubes will give you a more complex vanilla/caramel flavor over a longer period of time. I would use a wider mouthed carboy or keg over a bucket if you can to reduce oxygen exposure.

Some people soak their oak in spirits first, but I don't really see the point because it just gives you less control over each variable. I like to boil the oak to get rid of the harsher tannins and then add liquor at the end to taste.

For soaking the coconut and cocoa nibs in liquor, again I think it just gives you less control over how much of each flavor you get in the beer. I've used all these adjuncts and many more in my imperial stouts and it is just my preference to add everything separately.

I have nothing on the recipe, but second the suggestion of cubes vs chips.

Also, I "barrel age" my big stouts in a corny keg. I can purge with co2 after adding stuff, plus taking a sample is really simple...just pour a glass from a picnic tap.

For oak aging in secondary, I would strongly recommend medium toast American oak CUBES instead of chips. Chips can impart a lot of one dimensional flavor in a short period of time, cubes will give you a more complex vanilla/caramel flavor over a longer period of time. I would use a wider mouthed carboy or keg over a bucket if you can to reduce oxygen exposure.

Some people soak their oak in spirits first, but I don't really see the point because it just gives you less control over each variable. I like to boil the oak to get rid of the harsher tannins and then add liquor at the end to taste.

For soaking the coconut and cocoa nibs in liquor, again I think it just gives you less control over how much of each flavor you get in the beer. I've used all these adjuncts and many more in my imperial stouts and it is just my preference to add everything separately.

Well I've been reading a lot about oak additions and I do agree with what you are saying not only on the oak but the other adjuncts. Now for adding coconut, coco nibs and coffee how do you sterilize them before adding them to the secondary without soaking them in alcohol?

As for now I'm not thinking of buying a wide mouth secondary or corny keg as mentioned by Hwk-I-St8. I'm thinking of taking a lid for my buckets and add a 3" or 4" adapter on the lid that I could have a screw cap so I can add adjuncts into the secondary. What do you think?

Appreciate your input.

I have nothing on the recipe, but second the suggestion of cubes vs chips.

Also, I "barrel age" my big stouts in a corny keg. I can purge with co2 after adding stuff, plus taking a sample is really simple...just pour a glass from a picnic tap.

That sounds like a great way to add adjuncts for sure. Might be something to consider in the future.

Thanks for the idea.

Now for adding coconut, coco nibs and coffee how do you sterilize them before adding them to the secondary without soaking them in alcohol?

Thanks for the idea.

I honestly haven't worried about sanitizing ingredients when I'm putting them into a 10% or higher beer. I think that alcohol level does a good enough job killing anything.

Latest posts

Back