Help...suggestions on a pepper Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millhouse46

Reaction score
I have a regular American Pale Ale fermenting now and want to add jalapeno peppers to it but don't want to add them to entire batch. Not everyone that I will share it with likes peppers and I think a half batch of pepper beer is enough to start with.
I was thinking about putting some peppers in a 2 gallon bucket and letting the beer secondary on that for a week or 2, or would it be better to add the peppers at bottling? Would the pepper flavor come through enough in the bottling process? I am open to suggestions on pepper type in a pale ale also.
Thanks.

I had the same problem as you. I wanted to experiment with dried peppers. What I did was separate a 5 gallon batch into 3 different secondaries. At Whole Foods and a couple other places, they sell glass gallon jugs of apple juice. I bought a stopper and air lock to fit that. I also bought a stopper and air lock for a growler (1/2 gallon).

Dried hopped the 3.5 gallons. Added ancho peppers to the gallon jug. Added morita peppers (dried, smoked jalapeno) to the growler. Let them sit for about a week and then bottled. Worked great.

Back