Help Substitute for Cara-Pils? Forgot to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
Recipe calls for 8oz of Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

12lb 2-row
2lb of Vienna Malt
and the Cara-Pils

it's an IPA

I only have crystal 40 and 60 and some Victory

Would any of these help or should I skip the Cara-Pils all together?

Thanks

Carapils is a crystal malt, so you could sub a crystal malt. However, one of the things about carapils is that it provides body and head retention but with flavor contribution or color. Crystals 20L and 40L would impact the flavor a wee bit (8 ounces isn't much) and the color.

I love victory malt- but it's "toasty" and has a wonderful flavor. It's not flavor neutral.

8 ounces of carapils would definitely help a bit with head retention, but if you mash at 152 or so, you wouldn't have to worry about body at all and you still should have plenty of head retention with that grainbill.

Slight resurrection...

I've been drinking Founders Centennial IPA recently (excellent beer) and looked up the recipe because drinking it has left me feeling...well...a bit "bloated," if you know what I mean. I had a feeling that Carapils may have been the culprit, and I think my suspicions are correct (it looks like they use about 10% Carapils in their recipe).

I'm not necessarily looking to brew a Centennial IPA clone right now, but, after seeing those recipes, I'm curious about how one would go about replacing the Carapils in such a recipe.

Like Yooper said above, carapils really does 2 main things (when it is 1-5% of the overall grain bill) - contributes to head retention and builds slightly more mouth feel. I think when greater than 5% it tends to add a sweetness to the beer similar (in my opinion) to pilsner base malt. I would say a substitution may be flaked or wheat malt. This will cover both areas of mouth feel and foam retention.

Back