help slushy beer in keg..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HmeBrwed

Reaction score
So I kegged a brown ale(first time kegging) all went well had a party beer poured perfectly and tasted great might I add.... Any ways today I poured me a glass but noticed a lot of foam so assumed I was out of beer (which I was hoping for so I could keg a stout that's ready) so I shut of co2 tank closed the valve and removed all lines, then released the pressure and opened the top to find roughly half a gallon of brew partially frozen more like a slush if you will. So I am sanitizing the keg but not too sure if I should keg the stout and have to dump it later on.. my concern is that in the same kegarator where I have the keg I have plenty of beer in bottles and none are frozen so don't think temperature is the issue, also keg is upright and never been shaken or fallen over.... Anyone else had the same issue? Thanks in advance

If the beer is slushy or frozen, that is 100% temperature related. Perhaps where the keg sits, the bottom is cooler than in other places in the fridge. Do you have a little thermometer to check the spots in the fridge? I have a little fridge thermometer in mine, and the bottom is colder than the rest of the fridge. You may want to consider having the temperature of your fridge at 40-42 degrees if the bottom is so much colder.

Has to be sitting on cold spot as yooper says. As you change the pressure in keg you may freeze (create slush) as a thought. Not sure how fast or slow you are doing that. Do not dump anything. I had a keg on porch (long story) freeze and thaw 4 times, still taste great. If that helps or make you feel better. Freezing/slush has no effect that I know effect the taste. Maybe an expert can comment. Obviously you want it to thaw to drinking temp.

Hey thanks guys I'll look into getting a thermometer, as for now maybe I could drop temp and give the keg something to stand on... Thanks again for the tip on not dumping frozen beer Rode.

Latest posts

Back