Help saving a batch: Pineapple Express IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seilenos

Reaction score
I recently brewed "Pineapple Express IPA" which was the recipe used for and "American IPA" in the "Homebrew Challenge" on YouTube:

Code:
Boil Size: 7.60 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal  
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 88.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume      
9 lbs            Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)                 Grain         1          69.2 %        0.70 gal    
4 lbs            Munich II (Weyermann) (8.5 SRM)                  Grain         2          30.8 %        0.31 gal    
1.00 oz          Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.20 %] - Boil 40.0 min    Hop           3          38.7 IBUs     -            
1.00 oz          Denali (Exp 06277) (Sultana) [13.80 %] - Boil 15 Hop           4          18.6 IBUs     -            
1.00 oz          Kohatu (sub Motueka) [6.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  Hop           5          0.0 IBUs      -            
1.0 pkg          Hornindal Kveik (Omega #OYL-091)                 Yeast         6          -             -

(I had to sub Motueka for the Kohatu.)

The issue is after kegging I have almost no hop aroma. Like zero.
Is it possible that the vigorous Hornindal fermentation at 98 F blew it all out the airlock?

Would tossing an ounce of Motueka into the keg help at this point?
Currently the batch tastes like OJ without the orange and only a hint of citrus.

Your lack of hop aroma and flavor is due to a fundamental lack of hops :) 3 oz of hops, all hot side is not expected to give much. Especially with an OG of 1.067. I dry hop in the fermentor post fermentation, post soft crash...but a lot of people have success with dry hopping in the keg.

Perhaps 2 oz each of Motueka and Denali in the keg in a hop sack with a stainless weight suspended with unwaxed dental floss will help a bit. You could throw them in commando but you'd need a filter of some sort...

The recipe was probably designed to take advantage of the esters produced by the Kveik yeast. I would have added 2 or 3 more oz of Denali to the whirlpool below 170 degrees, and 4 oz in the dry hop if I wanted a "pineapple express" IPA. Cheers! Rick

It's an interesting experiment in early versus late hopping. The bittering and base flavor are there (it actually tastes "sweet" like wort does pre-pitch but has an FG of 1.011) but has so little aroma.

I'm going to see what the LHBS has today and try to save via keg hopping.

Amazing what 18 hours of keg hopping will do. Definitely coming more into balance. I try to learn something on every brew and this one is a lesson in BU/GU ratio. What tasted really sweet suddenly isn't so much any more when you pump up the bitterness.

I ended up putting in about 1.5 oz of Motueka and a stainless steel washer in a hop bag and hung it with some unwaxed floss. I went with 1.5 because I had an extra 0.5 oz in the freezer. The goal is to stay as close to the original recipe as possible first time out; trying to avoid the "This tasted horrible. No flavor. I ran out of Crystal 60 so I subbed in pilsner. 1 out of 5 stars." situation. Plus I figure I can always add more later.

Back