Help! Pumpkin Ale Watery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaehnig

Reaction score
O.G. between 1.055&1.060. Current gravity 1.014-1.016. 2 weeks in primary. Tastes strongly if alcohol. Maybe a bit of pumpkin. Nearly no spice flavor and is watery. Boiled 1.5 heaping tsp of pumpkin spice and 2 heaping tbsp of brown sugar to add to secondary. What else can I do to make this a bit thicker and less dry?

Higher ferm temps can make it seem alcoholy at first, but I would say relax its only a sample right? What is your recipe?. I dont think it may be that dry once conditoned in the bottle but that depends largely on what went in it. If you added a lot of sugar you can get dry and alcoholy. Your finish isnt low at all so,you should get some body or sweetness with that finish. Did you mash or steep any grains?

jonmohno said:
Higher ferm temps can make it seem alcoholy at first, but I would say relax its only a sample right? What is your recipe?. I dont think it may be that dry once conditoned in the bottle but that depends largely on what went in it. If you added a lot of sugar you can get dry and alcoholy. Your finish isnt low at all so,you should get some body or sweetness with that finish. Did you mash or steep any grains?

Recipe is simple. Autumn amber ale kid from Midwest with some pumpkin spice, Libby's pumpkin roasted and brown sugar.

I also used a Punkin ale recipe for reference but since my batch was smaller I accounted for the quantities.

I did steep some medium colored grains for 30 min then 10 min off heat.

I am hoping 2 weeks secondary then 2-4 weeks in the bottle will help this out.

Conditioning will complete it,my experience is that sometimes more conditioning with pumpkins gets better with some ageing. Sometimes some ambers can be roasty dry, isnt punkin a porter or brown? If you used that then its probably some of the medium dark malts. Sampleing does not do much for forecasting what a complete beer is, but you still kind of get a general idea but its going to taste alot better than your sample probably. Ive gotten alcoholy tastes in samples before and that never or rarely really ended up in the finish beer.

I appreciate the feedback. I will taste again before bottling then sample my bottles as weeks go on.

Latest posts

Back