Help! Propper Yeast Starter Shelf Life (can from Jan 2020)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
I was given some cans of Propper yeast starter, using it for the first time tonight. When I opened a can, it fizzed, even overflowed a small amount. Didn't think much about it and finished mixing the starter, including my one pack of Wyeast. Then I saw the date on the bottom of the can --- 1/15/2020! So what do you think...postpone brew day until next week, when I've been able to get new yeast?

According to the FAQ for Propper starter, The shelf life is twelve (12) months from date of manufacture which is noted on the bottom of the can. Maybe send an email to the manufacturer and ask if it's okay.

Attachments

• PropperStarterFAQs.pdf
    125 KB · Views: 4
According to the FAQ for Propper starter, The shelf life is twelve (12) months from date of manufacture which is noted on the bottom of the can. Maybe send an email to the manufacturer and ask if it's okay.

Unfortunately they're closed tomorrow (Sundays). Was really hoping to brew tomorrow, next chance will likely be two weeks later. My grains were crushed Wednesday.

Last edited:
The fizz and foaming worried me but, from Omega's website:

"Propper Starter is carbonated just enough to maintain can integrity, so a hiss and a bit of foaming is normal!"

Even with the date being what it is, as long as the can wasn't bulging and the contents didn't smell off, I'd probably still use it.

Back