Help please--diluting wort and maintaining IBU ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Hey all--

I'm not sure what's going on, but I am coming in much higher in OG than my recipe and Beersmith anticipated. After boil-off (which is just starting now), I'll be at 1.60, and the target for this recipe is 1.045.

So, I'm going to dilute. The question is, do I have to worry about adjusting hops? If so, how do I calculate what I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

CB

Yes, diluting the wort will also dilute the hops - both bitterness and flavor. To account for this, you should probably add more hops in proportion to how much you are planning to dilute the beer. If you are going to dilute the beer by 10%, you should add 10% more hops. Basically, keep the ounces (or grams) of hops per gallon of finished wort the same.

Thanks. Now I wish I could figure out why my gravity is so much higher than the recipe in Beersmith.

Well, if I calculate my mash efficiency, it comes out at 109%! How is that possible?

Back