Help - Oxi Clean Accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zieglesh

Reaction score
Last night I was transferring a beer to secondary. I have a spray bottle that holds oxi clean and one that holds star san. I'm not sure why I made a bottle for oxi clean, I just had an extra one and thought it might come in handy. So anyways, I sanitized my carboy and syphon with Star San. Before I put the syphon into the carboy I sprayed it down with what I thought was Star San. After everything was done I noticed that I accidentally sprayed with oxi clean. I shook the syphon good to get the foam off before putting in the carboy. This was a five gallon batch, so I am hoping that the volume of oxi clean to beer was so small that it doesn't have any impact on flavor or aging. Are there any chemist or beer guru's that might be able to give some insight on what to expect. I really hope it doesn't screw up my beer.

I would think one would be more concerned at the potential Heath risks of consuming oxide clean, however.....such a small amount may in fact have absolutely no impact on you or the flavor of the beer.

I too have a spray bottle of Oxiclean, like you I am not too sure why, perhaps I'll learn from your mistake and do away with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You’re fine. If it’s a little Oxi residue in the siphon, it’s a few ppm. If you rinsed it with StarSan it’s virtually zero.

Impressive that you spelled it right. Most people get it wrong. My best guess is that OxiClean is a mixture of sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. If it’s name brand Oxi there’s a little detergent in there. The generics don’t seem to have the detergent.

The flavor contribution would be like a pinch of baking soda. As for toxicity, if your solution is really strong, it could be slightly caustic. Don’t drink more than a quart of it. Diluted in wort you would add a little sodium, carbonate and oxygen, all things that occur naturally in water.

Handy tip, add one drop of red food coloring to your StarSan.

You’re fine. If it’s a little Oxi residue in the siphon, it’s a few ppm. If you rinsed it with StarSan it’s virtually zero.

Impressive that you spelled it right. Most people get it wrong. My best guess is that OxiClean is a mixture of sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. If it’s name brand Oxi there’s a little detergent in there. The generics don’t seem to have the detergent.

The flavor contribution would be like a pinch of baking soda. As for toxicity, if your solution is really strong, it could be slightly caustic. Don’t drink more than a quart of it. Diluted in wort you would add a little sodium, carbonate and oxygen, all things that occur naturally in water.

Handy tip, add one drop of red food coloring to your StarSan.

Really like the food coloring idea, if the OP used Oxiclean free then there are no perfumes nor chlorine added.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks for all the great info. This is good news considering that one beer I transferred was into a $60 Balcones Whiskey Barrel and the other is an Imperial Cream Ale that I am really excited about.

Back