Help me scavenge a recipe from stuff I have lying around.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunsNTulips

Reaction score
I'm stuck at home and I want to brew a beer. I've got all of the essentials. I'm looking for something pretty plain since it's meant for a church function. The last time, I made a pale ale and it was a hit.

It's definitely an ale. I have lager yeast, but I want a quick turn around. The yeast will be Safbrew WB-06.

Ive got about 6 lbs of dry wheat malt extract and about 2 lbs of light malt extract. I've got what looks to be 1/2 lb of medium crystal malt and 1/2 lb chocolate malt. I'll be damned if I know exactly what they are, I've lost the receipt.

I've got a variety of hop pellets, but nothing that screams pale ale at me. I have 2 oz of Cascade pellets (5.4 %AA, ok that one screams pale ale), 4 oz of Czech Saaz (3.4% AA, I love that aroma and will often dry hop with it), and 2nd German Hallertauer pellets (3.6 %AA, I have no idea why, it's not listed in any of my previous recipes.). I was pretty sure I had aquired some hop pellets with crazy high AA during the shortage, but for some reason I can't find them. Yes, some of these pellets have been in the deep freeze for years. I haven't found any issues with them.

Ordinarily, I would just throw something together, but since this is meant for public consumption I figured I'd consult. More than likely, I will have started by the time I get an answer. My plan is to steep all the grains, then add 2 oz Cascade (maybe 1oz Hallertauer I don't know). I'll use 4.5 lbs wheat extract and 2 lbs light extract. Then finish with Hallertauer and Saaz.

It might be a bit potent, so I may reduce the extract. It seems I don't have a good clarifier on hand. Is there anything I might have lying around that will work.

I'd probably do a dunkel weisse - steep .25 lbs chocolate, 5 lbs wheat DME, bitter with Hallertau, and give a small dose near flameout for a bit of aroma. You could be more aggressive with the chocolate and hops, but if you aren’t serving it to “beer” people I’d keep it simple.

Good luck.

Wow, that was fast! I'm not even at 40C yet. I love the simplicity. Now that I look, I think I only have 1/4 lb of each malt. Ill go with your recipe as I may have a tendency to make things complicated.

I shouldn't say they are all non-beer drinkers. The truly non-beer drinkers will have other options including macrobrews, but they make a premium on my beer.

You could skip the chocolate since "dark beer is strong", but some color might distract from a bit of haze (macro drinkers hate haze...).

Well it's up to the elves now. I went with about 1 1/2 oz of bitteri g hops (Hallertauer) then 10 min with the remaining 1/2 oz. Just when I stuck the wort on ice I added about an oz of Saaz ( I said I liked that aroma).

I only used 4 1/2 lb wheat and about 1 1/2 lb light malt. I figured the wheat could be toned down. I went with the full 1/4 lb of chocolate, so it will be dark.

It turned out pretty well. It had an unexpected fruity aroma. Does anyone have an idea what caused that? All on all, I'd say people were pleased with it.

I see what happened. With that nasty cold snap, put a heater on the fermenter, so it fermented too warm. Luckily, the fruity smell was pretty complimentary to the mild wheat beer. It's good to know what happened though for future brews. I need a beget way to monitor the fermenting temperature.

Back