Help me get through this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Discussing religion gets us into trouble because beliefs are rooted in faith. Blind faith. So arguing is pointless and it does nothing but piss some people off.

:off:

If merely discussing religion, and the validity thereof, pisses you off, then perhaps it's time to reevaluate your faith itself. I've got much more respect for someone who can argue about/for their beliefs, even the unsupportable ones, than I do for those who use the "it's all about faith" argument as an excuse to avoid having to actually talk about their beliefs.

One thing I can't stand is when people claim that a belief is "off-limits" because it's based on faith. Claiming exemption via "Faith" (belief without evidence) is little more than a self-advantageous get-out-of-jail-free card, wherein people with certain unsupportable (rationally speaking) beliefs think that they can win the argument every time by playing that card. And while this (obviously) isn't the place for such discussions, I do think it's more than within reasonable limits to have a chuckle at the expense of someone who induces suffering on themselves for purely irrational reasons, then asks others for "help".

/:off:

Anyway, my dad (who's been sober for near'n 20 years) likes to deprive himself of things. Depriving himself of alcohol was a good thing, no doubt (he was a bad alcoholic), but in the 20 years since then, he takes turns temporarily depriving himself of bread, sugar, cigarettes, etc. He always goes back (never to alcohol, of course), but he really does seem to get something out of this self-inflicted suffering. I guess it's just a personality thing. One can't help but wonder whether this is a more widespread psychological issue. When I saw the OP post his "HELP" message, I thought of my dad...and I wondered whether it was the same kind of thing, wherein the suffering is used as a mechanism to gain sympathy and admiration from others. Either way...have a drink. Induce suffering some other way. :D

Well the lemon and sugar is a classic.

We actually have a "Pancake Day" Shrove Tuesday when the majority of the country, especially families with kids, will make pancakes on that day. Usually for dessert Ice cream and jam is another favourite. They are made thin (not like the US style breakfast pancakes)

The cheese pancakes are made like a folded omelette and you can put all sorts of savoury fillings in them. Or you can serve them rolled like a wrap.

Not sure if it's a "British" thing, it's just what we do here.

The idea behind it originally is that at the beginning of lent people use up all the goodies that they are going to give up, so they have a feast. The pancakes are a gesture of this. But like Easter and the easter egg, pancake day has become something that id done by many regardless of their religious beliefs.

orfy said:
Well the lemon and sugar is a classic.

We actually have a "Pancake Day" Shrove Tuesday when the majority of the country, especially families with kids, will make pancakes on that day. Usually for dessert Ice cream and jam is another favourite. They are made thin (not like the US style breakfast pancakes)

The cheese pancakes are made like a folded omelette and you can put all sorts of savoury fillings in them. Or you can serve them rolled like a wrap.

Not sure if it's a "British" thing, it's just what we do here.

The idea behind it originally is that at the beginning of lent people use up all the goodies that they are going to give up, so they have a feast. The pancakes are a simple of this. But like Easter and the easter egg, pancake day has become something that id done by many regardless of their religious beliefs.

Very Interesting...Hopefully I will get to visit your country someday.

Yeah, the whole idea of Mardi Gras (which is French for "Fat Tuesday") originated in Europe.

On the last Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, which is the 40 days of Lent before Easter, the cooks would look at all the tasty, indulgent ingredients like eggs and butter that they had in the kitchen. If they didn't use them within 40 days, these items would spoil. So, they had to use them up.

The Poles invented Paczki's (pronounced poonch-keys) which are spherical donut-like pastries filled with great things like prune filling and cream cheese.

So Fat Tuesday became Paczki Day in Poland.

SEE!!!!!!

You come to HBT in the quest for good Ale and along the way you learn about religion, tradition, history, and good food.

You gotta love HBT:mug:

That reminds me of that futurama episode.

Bender: Nope, you can't temp me.
Robot Devil: Really? There's nothing you want?
Bender: Oh yeah, i forgot you could temp me with things i want.

Jim Karr said:
Yeah, the whole idea of Mardi Gras (which is French for "Fat Tuesday") originated in Europe.

On the last Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, which is the 40 days of Lent before Easter, the cooks would look at all the tasty, indulgent ingredients like eggs and butter that they had in the kitchen. If they didn't use them within 40 days, these items would spoil. So, they had to use them up.

The Poles invented Paczki's (pronounced poonch-keys) which are spherical donut-like pastries filled with great things like prune filling and cream cheese.

So Fat Tuesday became Paczki Day in Poland.

Ahhh, Yes...Paczki's!!! These are very good indeed! In my area of the country during the mass immigration of the late 1800's and early 1900's a lot of Poles, Russians, and Slovaks immigrated here to work in the numerous Coal mines in the area. There are many specialty bakeries and Delis that specialize in these foods. Fat Tuesday can be very fat around here!

The rolled up filled pancake thing is common. In the Ashkenazi Jewish tradition they're called blintz. Germans also made them. Crepes are much the same. I suspect they are common just about everywhere wheat is grown and people have sticky stuff handy.

OP - Now is the time to fix all of those problems in the brewery and run up a couple batches for QA.

david_42 said:
OP - Now is the time to fix all of those problems in the brewery and run up a couple batches for QA.

Good advice! I'm trying to get my equipment a little more organized right now. Plus I think I'm going to order a wort chiller.

I keep having thoughts of trying AG, but think that would add too much time to my brewing schedule. How much longer does a AG batch take compared to Extract?

Latest posts

Back