Help me get through this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymartini

Reaction score
I gave up drinking beer for lent...I know, I know, it was a stupid thing to do....Now please tell me how I am going to make it through these 48 days!!!!

Please send all spare ingredients to Dirtymartini! At least I can still brew....right???

It hasn't even been a week......HELP!!!!!!!

You idiot. Why. Why...
At least you will have time to think about your actions!

...I gave up for a month and vowed never to do this again!

Oh man, you needed to think that one thru better. :drunk:

I gave up giving things up for Lent a long time ago. I just do the no meat thing on Fridays.

If I had to give up beer I wouldn't make it thru to Easter...

Ize

Do you think god really cares? It is a rule made up by the church and used as another reason to get you in the door so you can tithe.

Its all about the benjamins!

Follow the Ten commandments and thou shalt be golden!

Now, go have a beer my son.

Every Sunday is Easter during lent right...Just save 'em for Sunday! I'm doing the same thing by the way. I'm trying to hold out on Sundays too, it's going to be tough. I'll just have to sit at home all by myself on St. Paddy's.

Good luck!

Reverend JC said:
Do you think god really cares? It is a rule made up by the church and used as another reason to get you in the door so you can tithe.

Its all about the benjamins!

Follow the Ten commandments and thou shalt be golden!

Now, go have a beer my son.

No I don't! If I walked thought the church doors it would probably go up in flames!

I actually did it for my own selfish reasons....I put on about 20 lbs in the last 7 or 8 months....I don't want to start looking like Fat Bastard!

dirtymartini said:
No I don't! If I walked thought the church doors it would probably go up in flames!

I actually did it for my own selfish reasons....I put on about 20 lbs in the last 7 or 8 months....I don't want to start looking like Fat Bastard!

40 days is not that hard... Just keep brewing... and by the time they're all conditioned enough to taste REALLY REALLY good you can drink again.

You know, you should have given up NOT exercising. that way, you can exercise, lose the extra 20 lbs and keep drinking.

Reverend JC said:
You know, you should have given up NOT exercising. that way, you can exercise, lose the extra 20 lbs and keep drinking.

A good point Reverend...a good point indeed! It's almost like you know me. I used to exercise religiously (to continue with this metaphor) usually 5 or six times a week. Then I fell off the exercise wagon.

I have started exercising again and these Lenten days should help me lose what I have gained. As long as I stay with it, beer consumption should not be too much of a problem.:ban:

DeadYetiBrew said:
40 days is not that hard... Just keep brewing... and by the time they're all conditioned enough to taste REALLY REALLY good you can drink again.

And just think how good that first beer will taste....but how to choose what will be the first?!

i went 60 days without drinking once! but i had the help of gaurds, steel bars, hand cuffs, and large thick walls to help me through! i dont recomend going this route, but its the only thing that can stop me from having a large frosty mug full of some good home brewed ale! mmmmm......

goood luck!

dirtymartini said:
And just think how good that first beer will taste....but how to choose what will be the first?!

You pour a glass of each.. After you take a drink of one, you take a drink of the next... technically you're drinking them all at once...

dirtymartini said:
I gave up drinking beer for lent...I know, I know, it was a stupid thing to do....Now please tell me how I am going to make it through these 48 days!!!!

Please send all spare ingredients to Dirtymartini! At least I can still brew....right???

You want help? Do yourself a favor. Read Dawkins' The God Delusion. Then get back to drinking. Giving up drinking for lent is no better or worse than, say, putting a clothespin on my schlong during the month of June to appease the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's unnecessary sacrifice. Muslims self-flagellate themselves over the whole Hussein slaughter legend, christians give up things they like for lent...etc., etc. But if I were to come on these forums and say that I gave up drinking because the Flying Spaghetti Monster told me to, you'd say I was crazy.

Now, say, if you gave up drinking for health reasons, that's one thing. And even then, it's not entirely clear that there will be a benefit, depending on how much you usually drink. Or maybe if alcoholism was a problem. At least then there'd be a rational basis for your sacrifice, rather than, ummm...lent? I'm not trying to incite a flame war or personally insult you, I just find it strange when people do painful things to themselves (and others!) for irrational reasons, then appeal to others to help them. I know this is all somewhat :off: , but come on. Just have a drink. :mug:

DeadYetiBrew said:
Lent isn't only for catholics

True, but most protestant branches (including my church) don't give stuff up for lent.

I think if I did, it wouldn't be homebrew.

That said, if you can do it, then I really admire your self control!!

Biermann said:
True, but most protestant branches (including my church) don't give stuff up for lent.

Yeah, I'm Lutheran (AKA Catholic Lite, AKA the Original Protestants), it's more of a tradition and sometimes we do it to see who can stick with it. Kind of like New Years resolutions.

I went without beer not too long ago...it was the worst! I was on edge, I couldn't sleep, had a head ache and was shaking...

WORST.DAY.EVER. :D

Maybe you should have just given up BMC!!!

dirtymartini said:

OK -Very simple!! Drink Whiskey, Apfelwein, Cider, etc.

SOB said:
I went without beer not too long ago...it was the worst! I was on edge, I couldn't sleep, had a head ache and was shaking...

WORST.DAY.EVER. :D

Maybe you should have just given up BMC!!!

Found my lenten resolution!!!

Schlenkerla said:
OK -Very simple!! Drink Whiskey, Apfelwein, Cider, etc.

I think we have a winner here. God gave us free thinking and you might have just found a loop hole.

Does Barley Wine count as beer? It says wine right there.

Biermann said:

I have never believed in the whole lent thing; giving something up that you love. As a matter of fact I am not Catholic, but raised Protestant. I never really understood the whole Catholic ideals. To each his own. I personally believe religion is all about CONTROL But this is a can of worms best left unopened.

It's all about self control!!! Or is it something more deeply rooted? Why must we insist on punishing ourselves?
The problem is I have made a promise to myself and I will not break it.

Evan! said:
You want help? Do yourself a favor. Read Dawkins' The God Delusion. Then get back to drinking. Giving up drinking for lent is no better or worse than, say, putting a clothespin on my schlong during the month of June to appease the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's unnecessary sacrifice. Muslims self-flagellate themselves over the whole Hussein slaughter legend, christians give up things they like for lent...etc., etc. But if I were to come on these forums and say that I gave up drinking because the Flying Spaghetti Monster told me to, you'd say I was crazy.

Now, say, if you gave up drinking for health reasons, that's one thing. And even then, it's not entirely clear that there will be a benefit, depending on how much you usually drink. Or maybe if alcoholism was a problem. At least then there'd be a rational basis for your sacrifice, rather than, ummm...lent? I'm not trying to incite a flame war or personally insult you, I just find it strange when people do painful things to themselves (and others!) for irrational reasons, then appeal to others to help them. I know this is all somewhat :off: , but come on. Just have a drink. :mug:

God is a Concept by which
We measure our pain
I'll say it again
God is a Concept by which
We measure our pain
I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in Tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in Kings
I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles
I just believe in me...and that reality

John Lennon

dirtymartini said:
I have never believed in the whole lent thing; giving something up that you love. As a matter of fact I am not Catholic, but raised Protestant. I never really understood the whole Catholic ideals. To each his own. I personally believe religion is all about CONTROL But this is a can of worms best left unopened.

It's all about self control!!! Or is it something more deeply rooted? Why must we insist on punishing ourselves?
The problem is I have made a promise to myself and I will not break it.

It's kind of like testing yourself... Personally i have great self control, only when i have to. :mug:

dirtymartini said:
But this is a can of worms best left unopened......

I agree. Hopefully nobody will take this thread to serious.

Discussing religion gets us into trouble because beliefs are rooted in faith. Blind faith. So arguing is pointless and it does nothing but piss some people off.

Ideas on the other hand are worth arguing because they based on fact, new facts make for new ideas.

I believe the idea of having another beer now will piss off SWMBO but its worth the argument! :D

From my understanding of Lent, the point is to relate to what "Christ" went through. If it was easy you wouldn't appreciate the sacrifice. If I were to give up something based on it being important to me and that giving it up would cause me pain or a certain degree of uncomfortableness, then that is the point. I think. I guess it boils down to your own motivation. Is it "peer pressure" or is it your belief / faith.

JMO

"Everyone believes in something. I believe I'll have another beer."

Well, I gave up paying for store-bought beer. :ban:

Keep this in mind. You have enough time to get several concurrent brews going in time for an Easter celebration.

By the way...is tasting really considered drinking?

ME THINKS NOT... :rockin:

best way to help yourself is to not come on this site for a while! everyone talkin bout booze all the time! didnt help me stop but i have been not drinkin for bout 8 or 9 weeks..

good luck

BierMuncher said:
You have enough time to get several concurrent brews going in time for an Easter celebration.

My plan ideed....up next Devil's Brew Belgian...just for lent!

By the way...is tasting really considered drinking?
ME THINKS NOT... :rockin:

Maybe not, I might have to taste whats in the bottles now....just one on Sunday mind you:mug:

Back