Help Me get my Wheat Wine to BJCP Standards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the new 2015 BJCP standards just came out. They now have a standard for Wheat Wine. I entered this beer at the Bluebonnet Brewoff in the Specialty Category and the main comments were that it was too hop forward. Those comments would be in line with the 2015 BJCP standards.

Here is from the Wheatwine Style Guidelines:

Overall Impression: A richly textured, high alcohol sipping beer with a significant grainy, bready flavor and sleek body. The emphasis is first on the bready, wheaty flavors with interesting complexity from malt, hops, fruity yeast character and alcohol complexity.
Aroma: Hop aroma is mild and can represent just about any late hop aromatic. Moderate to moderately-strong bready, wheaty malt character, often with additional malt complexity such as honey and caramel. A light, clean, alcohol aroma may noted. Low to medium fruity notes may be apparent. Very low levels of diacetyl are acceptable but not required. Weizen yeast character (banana/clove) is inappropriate.
Appearance: Color ranges from gold to deep amber, often with garnet or ruby highlights. Low to medium off-white head. The head may have creamy texture, and good retention. Chill haze is allowable, but usually clears up as the beer gets warmer. High alcohol and viscosity may be visible in “legs” when beer is swirled in a glass.
Flavor: Moderate to moderately-high wheaty malt flavor, dominant in the flavor balance over any hop character. Low to moderate bready, toasty, caramel, or honey malt notes are a welcome complexity note, although not required. Hop flavor is low to medium, and can reflect any variety. Moderate to moderately-high fruitiness, often with a dried-fruit character. Hop bitterness may range from low to moderate; balance therefore ranges from malty to evenly balanced. Should not be syrupy and under-attenuated. Some oxidative or vinous flavors may be present, as are light alcohol notes that are clean and smooth but complex. A complementary, supportive oak character is welcome, but not required.

This is my recipe as I brewed it last time. I'll just list percentages and hop additions as IBU's since I typically brew 2 gallon batches.

Wonder Beer
33% Malted Wheat
33% Unmalted Wheat
30% 6-Row
2% Crystal 40
2% CaraCrystal Wheat

Nugget 60 Minutes 56 IBU
Cascade 15 Minutes 6 IBU
Cascade 5 Minutes 2 IBU

Protein Rest at 124 for 20 Minutes
Single Decoction to raise to 152 60 Minutes
Boiled Decoction for 15 Minutes

Since it was a 2 gallon recipe I fermented it with One Package of Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Wit) and one package of Wyeast 1335 (British Ale)

OG 1.102 (I got 1.095)
FG 1.026 (I got 1.023)
9.9% (I got 9.45%)
65 IBU

The new style guideline has the acceptable IBU's to be between 30 and 60. My original recipe is high on IBU's and too hop forward with the Cascade Hops. Looking for some suggestions. I'm guessing it should be hopped similar to a British Barley Wine. Would it also work to hop it similar to a Belgian Tripel?

Back