Help me figure this out . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My kid got new glasses 3 months ago. His eyes are cr@p and he already needs new glasses. Ok no big deal we got the new script and head off to the same store we always get his glasses at.

We can get 2 sets of glasses (frames and lenses) for $99. Last time he got glasses he found frames he really like and wants to keep them so we ask if we can get new lenses for his frames and they tell us sure that wont be a problem but it will cost $139 per set of lenses ($278)

Me: so 2 pair of glasses is 100 bucks?
Her: yes
Me: but if I only get the lenses (exact same lenses that came with the frames I dont want) it will cost $278
Her: Correct
Me: What if you sell me the 2 sets of glasses, keep the frames, put the lenses in these frames we bought from you 3 months ago then you sell the frames I'm letting you keep . . .
Her: I'm sorry we cant do that we would be losing money
Me: but your not losing money selling me 2 sets of frames and 2 sets of the exact same lenses for $100?
Her: I'm going to have to ask you to leave, you are obviously up to something

my head hurts

Oh wow! i hate that. Stupid corparate crap coupled with powerless (and possibly stupid) employees = headache, frustration, and disgust. Not to mention the waste of materials. What if you tell them you are trying to have less environmental impact and are trying to use things for longer rather than throwing them away? Or, what if you buy the two pair for $100, pop one set of lenses out, put them in the old frames, set the old lenses in the new frames you don't want, and then return the new frames. You could probably do all that in your car and then return with a grin.

Is it possible that the 2 for 99 glasses all took lenses that were the same shape and size and it would cost them more to cut them to match the ones you have now?

I have not done it but my friend has bought glasses with frames many times online for less than $20 a set. You give them your perscription and measurements any you get them in a couple weeks. I thought I got a good deal with the 2 for $99 too until he told me about his.

Must be at Stein's in Milwaukee! The wife went through a similar hassle there in Mequon a few months ago. They were very difficult to work with.

Stupidity like this exists everywhere. How about this one:

I applied for a consolidation loan right after my divorce at our city credit union. I got an email back saying I was approved for 9%, which is a great rate for that type of loan.

So I get all my paperwork and head down to the bank to close the loan.

I tell the lady why I'm there, she signs me in, tells me to sit at a row of chairs and hands me a pamphlet about their current loan specials. The "special" for this type of loan was 14% interest, much higher than my credit rating earned me on my initial application.

I'll leave out the conversation that went from stupid response by them, witty response by me, stupid response by them, heated response by me. In the end, I was offered a "special" of 14%, as opposed to the original 9%, take it or leave it.

And of coruse the women had no concept of why I didn't consider the 14% a "special".

Is it possible that the 2 for 99 glasses all took lenses that were the same shape and size and it would cost them more to cut them to match the ones you have now?

possible but unlikely since the frames we want the lenses in we got from them originally at the 2 for $99 price

Must be at Stein's in Milwaukee! The wife went through a similar hassle there in Mequon a few months ago. They were very difficult to work with.

bingo . . . how did she resolve it? Did she have to get 2 new complete sets? I mean it's pretty sad when the 9 year old can figure out how retarded this is and the store manager cant.

:D $100 for glasses. My last pair of glasses cost me over $900, and they are nothing special. :D

Agreed. While their logic is definitely effed up, $100 is still pretty cheap. A year ago I bought two new pairs of glasses ( regular and safety) and they were $630 all together.

Someone from our church told me about zennioptical.com. They've had good luck with them. I just got contacts, and I'm planning on buying a cheap backup pair from them.

Back