Help me figure out what I have, please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninator

Reaction score
Folks, I've been brewing for a few years, but I have to admit I'm at a total loss when it comes to electric systems. It just so happens, though, that I've come into possession of a system, and I could use some help identifying what I have, as well as what I don't have.

This is a two-tier stand with an electrical control box, an element heated keg mash tun, and an element heated kettle. There is no pump, and I have no temp probes for the MLT.

Can anyone help me I'D this system? Thanks.

20171201_205905.jpg
20171201_210725.jpg
20171201_210738.jpg
20171201_210751.jpg

Based only on what you have shown, you appear to have a home-made system. Two manual temperature control systems for the MLT and BK. Appears to be a 120 volt system. Does it have two cords with plugs to power the panel, or just one?

One of the SSR modules is appears to be just hanging on its wires. It needs to be mounted to the back panel before using it. It looks like it was there at one time.

I would suggest having an experienced person take a look at it before trying to power it up. It looks a little suspect to me.

Based only on what you have shown, you appear to have a home-made system. Two manual temperature control systems for the MLT and BK. Appears to be a 120 volt system. Does it have two cords with plugs to power the panel, or just one?

One of the SSR modules is appears to be just hanging on its wires. It needs to be mounted to the back panel before using it. It looks like it was there at one time.

Yep, that sounds like an apt description. It has two power cords (one for each side of the panel). My assumption is that one controller is meant to power and regulate the MLT, while the other should be committed to the BK.

I'll take a look at remounting the module to the panel box. I appreciate that tip. This thing traveled across the state to me, so it may have just gotten shaken loose in transit.

I would suggest having an experienced person take a look at it before trying to power it up. It looks a little suspect to me.
That would have been really smart, yes. However, I went ahead and turned it on last night. The right side is working fine (in my opinion), but I'm not sure about the left side. The controller comes on, but I don't think I'm getting any fire. I may have just had things run wrong, though. I do know that my outlet in the garage is not capable of handling two elements fired through the same outlet at once, but that's a known problem with my wiring, not the rig.

Does anything stand out as missing? I don't see any way for the controller to receive feedback from the MLT. There's a receiver on each side of the panel box that looks like it would accept a temp probe of some kind, but I can't be sure.

It may have had temperature probes at one time and they were lost. If it was only used for manual control in the past and depending on what model of controller you have, it may have the capability to connect a temp probe.
You may or not be aware that the SSR modules need to be mounted to a metal surface to act as a heat sink. They generate heat when in use and can self destruct if the heat is not conducted away from the module.

Correct on the thermal grease. You can see the grease residue on the panel where the SSR used to be mounted

It may have had temperature probes at one time and they were lost. If it was only used for manual control in the past and depending on what model of controller you have, it may have the capability to connect a temp probe.
You may or not be aware that the SSR modules need to be mounted to a metal surface to act as a heat sink. They generate heat when in use and can self destruct if the heat is not conducted away from the module.
I was definitely not aware of that. Hope I haven't screwed anything up.

Is it just a matter of reattaching the SSR somehow, or do I need new thermal paste to do so?

This is sounding like it's going to need work beyond what I'm prepared or able to do. I need it out of my garage. Any thoughts on what my next steps need to be? Try to make some repairs? Find someone to take it as is? Is it even worth anything without doing repairs first?

Looks to me like it has had a lot of use. That means somebody loved it. If it was mine, I'd try to rescue it. But I'm about half crazy, so you gotta decide.

It's definitely worth something. The kegs and elements alone have some value to people. The stand looks serviceable too. The panel is going to have to find just the right buyer. Not everyone wants to take on someone else's experiment. Still, there are lots of DIY people out there that could make sense of it.

If you are into brewing it is a great start on an advanced system. If you are not then try to find someone who would get better use out if it.

Looks to me like it has had a lot of use. That means somebody loved it. If it was mine, I'd try to rescue it. But I'm about half crazy, so you gotta decide.
It's definitely worth something. The kegs and elements alone have some value to people. The stand looks serviceable too. The panel is going to have to find just the right buyer. Not everyone wants to take on someone else's experiment. Still, there are lots of DIY people out there that could make sense of it.

If you are into brewing it is a great start on an advanced system. If you are not then try to find someone who would get better use out if it.
I'm definitely serious about brewing, but I know my time and space restrictions right now, and this doesn't fit within those. I'd love to see somebody else get better use out of it. I could see using it a few times a year, and I just can't dedicate the space or money to a project like that, when I'm completely comfortable with my propane-fired system.

Last edited:
Since y'all know a lot more about this stuff than I do, if I wanted to get what I can out of it and move on, what would you think is a reasonable price?

As is. Electricity flows. Elements heat. Can't verify beyond that. Can reattach the ssr if it makes any difference.

Not ignoring you, just have no idea.
Totally get it. I haven't provided a lot of info.

If anybody wants to take shot, I'm glad to post more pics or describe anything necessary. I just don't know what the important components are.

You might want to try and sell it on your local Craig List. That way a potential buyer can look it over and see what he's getting.
You might even find an savvy fabricator locally that can give you some insights on what you have and its overall condition.
The kettles are potentially of value, but not knowing the wattage of the elements, weldless or welded fittings, quantity of openings, valves, etc, there are just too many unknowns for me to offer anything other than a swag on value.
Sorry, wish I could offer more advice.

All good, man. I appreciate the feed back from you and @ancientmariner52. I've gotten in touch with the owner of my local lhbs, and I'm hoping he'll have some idea of what it needs and how best to package it.

I'll post back what I hear.

HBT for sale posts are required to have an asking price. "Gimme an offer" is not allowed.

Brew on :mug:
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't do that. I know I asked about worth, but my main point here was to figure out what I have.

I do know that my outlet in the garage is not capable of handling two elements fired through the same outlet at once, but that's a known problem with my wiring, not the rig.
It concerns me that you would say this. Are you not aware that a 1500w element draws like 12 amps and you can only run one on a circuit? chances are you have 2000w elements and they draw even more amps (16) requiring a 20 amp outlet and 12 awg wiring..
in other words you can run 2 elements off one outlet with correct wiring so..
thats why their are 2 plugs so each one gets plugged into to plugs on separate breakers.

It may have had temperature probes at one time and they were lost.
exactly... Id love to hear how this system was obtained? you would think the owner would pass on the important information if he was giving it up willingly?

OP, did you get this at an estate sale or something?

It concerns me that you would say this. Are you not aware that a 1500w element draws like 12 amps and you can only run one on a circuit? chances are you have 2000w elements and they draw even more amps (16) requiring a 20 amp outlet and 12 awg wiring..
in other words you can run 2 elements off one outlet with correct wiring so..
thats why their are 2 plugs so each one gets plugged into to plugs on separate breakers.
I meant this in a general sense. The house we're renting had the garage added on years after it was built. Rather than wiring outlets off of a new breaker, they tied into the breaker that controls the kitchen. It's not the brew rig's fault. I have to be careful about running power tools out there, too.
exactly... Id love to hear how this system was obtained? you would think the owner would pass on the important information if he was giving it up willingly?

OP, did you get this at an estate sale or something?
I got it indirectly through a friend whose neighbor was moving and couldn't take the rig with him. My friend doesn't brew, but he picked it up, thinking maybe I'd be able to put it to use. At one time I thought I might, but I just don't have the space for a second rig, when my first one works well for my needs. Additionally, you've caught on above that I don't have the know-how to diagnose issues and needs for a setup like this. I know my limitations, which is why I'm here.

gotcha, Its pretty normal to have outlets piggybacked off another room. (not ideal but normal)
It just seems odd that someone would go through all that diy building and then just give it away with no instruction. At this point, you could alway ask the friend to call the guy and ask him about the temp probes? There should be plugs for them if it had them. Sa may already have been pointed out most pids wont operate without them... Its possible it may still work in pwm mode and thats how the owner used it though.

gotcha, Its pretty normal to have outlets piggybacked off another room. (not ideal but normal)
It just seems odd that someone would go through all that diy building and then just give it away with no instruction. At this point, you could alway ask the friend to call the guy and ask him about the temp probes? There should be plugs for them if it had them. Sa may already have been pointed out most pids wont operate without them... Its possible it may still work in pwm mode and thats how the owner used it though.
They also tied the laundry and the sun room to that breaker. It's doing a lot.

The panel does have a receiver on each side for temp probes (I think). He also has written "boil - 234" on tape on one side of the panel. My assumption is that he was using one controller for both elements in the MLT, while the other was dedicated to both elements in the BK (that's how I would have done it, anyway). The old neighbor is long gone now. Moved away at the beginning of the year.

If that means 234°F for boiling temp, something is way wrong. That would require an atmospheric pressure around 23 psi absolute. That just doesn't happen naturally.

If that means 234°F for boiling temp, something is way wrong. That would require an atmospheric pressure around 23 psi absolute. That just doesn't happen naturally.
Sorry, that should have read "224", and I assume he was setting the controller there to keep the elements on once he reached a boil.

Or maybe it's a completely irrelevant note. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That seems more reasonable. Perhaps that was the indicated boil temp, and he never bothered to calibrate the probe to read actual temp. That would work fine as long as you know the indicated temp, hence the note. It's fun playing detective!

Back